• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Alternator is everyone running in their XJ?

Dragon_Fly

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to go with an 1994 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8ltr 140amp alternator. Looks pretty much like a plug and play to me with some very minor mods.

I've been using oem stuff but that switch sounds interesting...I'm really needing to find better ways to mud proof my alt..

I had mine rebuilt and rewired for 130 amps and love it.

I should of given more info due to the different alternators used... I have an 88 XJ with the GM alternator. I thought about getting a new alternator but am going to opt out for a junkyard special with a 60 day warranty from an 1996 caprice. Cost is about 50 bucks. Im a cheapass and hate to fork our a bunch of money.... but a limited lifetime warranty does sound nice.

Ive got the upgraded one from the factory.. I thinks it's 160 amp.It came with the HD cooling and Trans cooler.. I've dunked it a couple of times and so far(knock on wood) it's holding up fine...
Later

Do not go with motorcityreman.com,the price on my 160 amp alt I got from them($120.00) was the main reason I bought it.I was sorry.You get what you pay for.This is just my opinion on them based on my experience.If you like alts. that have bent shafts then give them a try.

I did like Tom did...It's all in the stator and rotor...don't forget to upgrade the alt to battery feed wire.

I'm using an alternator for a 98 or 99 (I don't remember which) ZJ. It's a 136 or something like that and I got it from AutoZone. The only thing that I changed was the pulley and it bolted right on.

Robert

Bought a locally reman model rewired to 130A...
I think I'd be happier with 160A tho...
will acc. lights and a couple of amps it's unhappy unless I'm moving...

Back