• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In the middle of replacing injectors

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
I am in teh middle of replacing the injectors on my 89 XJ 4.0. I was taking teh fuel lines of the fuel rail and did not see an o-ring on the back fuel line; the one closest to teh engine compartment. Does it have an o-ring? If not, does the other need to be replaced whenever teh line is seperated fromt eh rail? Lastly, what is the correct order for putting back together? SHould I install the injectors in the engine first or should I attach them first to the fuel rail?
Thanks
BSD

Any of the QD connexions should have two orings and a small Nylon spacer - this can be had as a kit from the dealer (consisting of two orings, spacer, Nylon retaining clip, and installation mandrel) for about $13 each.

I find it easier to install the fuel injectors to the fuel rail, then slip the injector assembly into the intake manifold. Make sure the orings are well lubricated - I typically soak them in gasoline before I put them on the injectors (according to FSM) but you can also use assembly lubricant or some other fuel-soluble lube in a pinch.

There really isn't a "proper order" to do the assembly of the injectors, rail, and manifold - so you just find something that's easy for you to handle and go with it. That's what most of us do. Besides, the advantage to assembling the rail on the workbench is that the retainer clips are easier to find there than in the engine bay...

5-90

Mine did not have a spacer and only one o-ring. THe o-ring seated around a plastic fitting that rested against a ridge in the wall of the tube.

Why did you disconnect it???? You didn't have to in order to replace the fuel injectors.

Hind sight is 20/20 now isn't it. The question of why I disconnected it is not relevant. I figured out on my own, with the help of a google search and a trip to the parts shop that I will need to swing by the dealership tomorrow.
BSD

There are (or damn well should be!) two orings and a spacer in each fitting, so take a moment to look in the female end to make sure you haven't missed any. You may need a "hooker" to pull them out - if you don't have any, you can bend one out of a paperclip pretty quickly...

5-90

5-90,
I looked, scraped out with scribe, tried to hook them out with a little hooker tool I have, spent 1/2 an hour looking over the area to make sure they just did not fall out when I took it apart. The quick connects that were in there had only one o-ring and no spacer. I am beginning to wonder if the system had been seperated earlier and somebody put different pieces n there. I lean towards this because the quick connects are two different colors. The one at teh back is black and the front one is a white/clear color. Did Jeep make only one style of quick connect? I am going by the dealership today to settle it. THanks for the help 5-90
BSD

Did my injectors a few months back. P/N for the disconnects: 83503637. Just in case you need it.

They were clear plastic. The originals were black.

There's some useful info in this O-ring write-up:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/oring.html

I used KY-Gel on the o-rings. They slid in real nice.

Good luck to you.

Over here, I used a (locally manufactured) spray-on "safe for rubber and plastic parts" lubricant called "SQ 70-5, Marine formula". Worked like magic. It's used in outboard boat engines, mostly because it displaces water around the ignition parts. You can most likely locate something like that easily in the US.

I replaced my fuel injectors last month on my '89 XJ I-6.

There were only one O-ring for each disconnect - front and rear. I don't have a leak but I might go to the dealer and pick a set up for each. If there was a plastic spacer I think I didn't take it off.

A couple years ago a I had two injectors replaced by my local garage. After a week the front connector started to leak. I brought it right over to have it fixed. The mechanic fixed it but he said "Oh it needed an O-ring". I asked him why he didn't install one in the first place. He said he couldn't find one so he used grease instead! He also said he cleaned out his tool box a few days ago and found one - and that's the one he used to fix my Jeep. Man-Oh-Man what a jerk! This is one of the major reasons I went back to working on my Jeep - you can't trust anyone!

Anyway I installed the injectors on the rail and then inserted the injectors into each port. It's a little tight fit with the arm that holds the throttle cable - you just have to play with the rail a little.

Good luck with the install...new fuel injectors and a new timing chain set brought new life to my Jeep.

Last edited:
Back