• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2k long starts

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
alrighty i searched but didn't find anythign too specific to my prob. My father just purchased a 2k cherokee auto with 88k on it. it runs perfect, sometimes when starting it will seem to crank for what seems like and eturnity before it fires up. if i crank it a little and it dosn't seem like it's gonna start i stop and immediatly try again and it will fire right up. other times it starts perfect. i was thinking the cps but i always thought that was a start or no start situation.

The CPS can affect crank times - can't hurt to try unplugging it and plugging it back in (cleaning the contacts).

Rob

There is a TSB out there that a seal for the fuel pump is defective. Thus causing the fuel line pressure to bleed off. If you find that after the XJ has sat for a period of time and it starts hard it could be that. Just turn the key to the on position allowing the fuel pump to turn on for 1-3 seconds then start the vehicle. That atleast is my problem...It gets worse when it is cold outside..

The bleeding off of fuel pressure is a common problem on the older ones. I've learned to live with it, just waiting a moment before I start to crank. But if there's actually a sevice bulletin on the later ones, there might be a hidden warrantee, so it would be worth pursuing.

mine does that too. sometimes it contributes to a rough start and fires off engine codes (cold mornings). now i just wait a few and then crank it. it seems to work...
seems like to 2K xjs are adding up items on the POS list...
still wheels great though...

biscuitboy87 said:
mine does that too. sometimes it contributes to a rough start and fires off engine codes (cold mornings). now i just wait a few and then crank it. it seems to work...
seems like to 2K xjs are adding up items on the POS list...
still wheels great though...

While mine does also have the rough-start problem (I may have to play with the delayed-start idea)... I can say that, without argument, my 2000 XJ has been the most-bulletproof vehicle I have owned.

It leaked a bit of Tcase fluid when new (dealer fixed), I put a steering stabilizer on it during the summer, and I just did my first brakes (front rotors and pads!) at 54k this week...

Den

Back