• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC v6

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
did AMC ever make their own v6 with the same bold pattern as the 4.0? the only V6's I can find that AMC used are the gmc 2.8 junk. if they did make their own, how long ago was it?

crazyoffroader said:
better question, has anyone ever experimented with the rambler 196 ALUMINUM motor. weight savings anyone?

Don't know if it qualifies but in 69-70-71 the renegades had V6 Dauntless engines in them, spark plugs were inboard of the heads right above the intake manifold. Have no idea whose engine it was, maybe GM because I remember seeing a similar engine in a friends 70's something IH Scout and he said it was a GM truck motor while we were putting it in...

RichP said:
Don't know if it qualifies but in 69-70-71 the renegades had V6 Dauntless engines in them, spark plugs were inboard of the heads right above the intake manifold. Have no idea whose engine it was, maybe GM because I remember seeing a similar engine in a friends 70's something IH Scout and he said it was a GM truck motor while we were putting it in...
The V6 Dauntless was a Buick motor i believe, but that might work as long as it has the same bolt pattern...

If you want a V6 why not a 3.4L ? you could add a holley TB fuel injection setup on that and have a pretty nice motor. I had a 2.8L in an S10 and the gears in that were 3:07's, my 4.0L jeep with 3:08's has alot more low end grunt. I like the 4.0, easy to work on vs the knuckle skinning V motors the I block gets my vote every time.

AMC never had its own V6 engine. Yes, the old CJ V6 was the original Buick V6. Buick had so many problems with it running rough that they sold the machining (not engines) to AMC, who were dumb enough to buy it. I believe they subsequently sold it back to GM some years later.

Stay away from the old 196 engine. It was a 4 main bearing I6 and was not particularly reliable in passenger car service. I can't imagine it would be reliable in a Jeep. And the bell housing bolt pattern doesn't match anything else anyway.

check this link - he seems to think the ZJ 5.9L 360 would fit... that'd be plenty o power for me...

Back