• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing cost

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I asked my mechanic how much to regear my Dana 30. His idea of regearing is to send it to Jasper and have it rebuilt with new gears for a total of $2000! There's gotta be another way. I've already done the junkyard donor program and now find myself in need of another axle so I thought I'd have the original that came out of my XJ reinstalled. Any thoughts? I no longer have time to do this work myself. TIA

Lore5 said:
$2,000 no way.
I am not positive but I think at 4WheelParts it is somewhere in the ballpark of $500 I am not really shure. It may very well be less.

I don't even like 4WheelParts messing with my lugnuts! :wierd:

If any of them made a move for my diff - I'D PULL A KNIFE! :laugh3:

Yeah, two grand should get you a drop shipped custom axle...

bburge

bburge said:
I don't even like 4WheelParts messing with my lugnuts! :wierd:

If any of them made a move for my diff - I'D PULL A KNIFE! :laugh3:

Yeah, two grand should get you a drop shipped custom axle...

bburge

I am not saying that is where I would have mine done. That was the only price I new of because my friend just got an ARB and new gears installed by them.
I have seen some of the lifts they have put on the show trucks at my school and I was not impressed at all. Especially not for the $$$$$

yeah $200 - $200 per axle for labor is about right.. add to that new gears, bearings and seals, and carrier /locker.. $1000 per axle COMPLETE is what i'd expect.. $2000 easily if you upgrade to better shafts too... shop around and talk to people. talk to hot rodders in your area and see who they recommend for setting up their axles.. the guy who does mine does alot of work for racers and specializes in corvettes...

We charge $1000 parts and labor, not including lockers.

That is quality ring and pinions (Spicer, Precision, Superior), master overhaul kits, carriers as needed, shop supplies and labor.

The going rate in our area is $300- $400 per axle for labor.

I was quoted 800 for labor per axel and still needed prices on the parts.

I had a D30 and D44 done this spring.Gears ,carrier, Detroit for the 44,Master rebuild kits for both and all brake shoes and hardware for the 44 cost around $1100
Labor was $350 per axle to install,that included the removal of the 8.25 and install of the 44.
Front unit bearings $265 and new axles(avg)$140 each for the 30.,It was what I wanted.
I didn,t do the math.
Wayne

Where in Maryland are you? there are a few shops that will do the install work for about $250 an axle. check out Adrenalineoffroad.com and Appalachianoffroad.com Check Out MarylandCreepers.com there are a few guys there that will do gears.

and you can get gears from them or check out Eric at
Knowwhere2jeep.com .... Gotta plug the local guys..

Last edited:
Back