• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this bracket for under my driver's seat?

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
I found a plot of metal, with three studs, located underneath my driver's-side seat. There was no carpeting over it, so it looks like something might have resided there in the past. It's also interesting to note that it's unpainted.

I thought it might be a bracket for power seats, which my '98 does not have. I'm practically rebuilding this thing right now, so if it's missing an option, I want to install it :). Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

xj_rebuild_2004-11-21_118.jpg

It's where the air bag control module use to be located, before it was relocated under the center console due to a factory recall....

Ivan

Ivan said:
It's where the air bag control module use to be located, before it was relocated under the center console due to a factory recall....

Ivan

Ahh, beat me to it.

FYI, it was relocated due to airbag malfunctions from water collecting in that spot in aquatic XJ's. When it was relocated in my '97, I noticed that the center console felt sturdier afterwards... I assume that whatever bracketry they added for the SRS module improved the mounting for the CC.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the replies!

I guess that explains why it looks like something used to be there. It should make a nice spot for a tiny amplifier, since my XJ will (hopefully) never be "aquatic"... haha.

I'd like to argue with you guys unless someone can prove me wrong (which might not be that hard! :) )

I think the bracket under the seat is the for factory keyless entry stuff.

I have a 98 and a 99. The only differences between the 98 and 99 is the 99 has keyless entry AND A SIZEABLE METAL BOX in the said location.

The 98 has no keyless entry, no "fog" lights and NO BOX UNDER THE SEAT.

Anyone care to argue?

Oh.. and I was told by the dealer it's for the keyless entry, but it's possible (and likely) they were wrong.

Your keyless entry module is overhead in the console (if equipped) or in the light dome (99).
Your 98 air bag module has been relocated under the center console. Remove the console storage bin by pulling the required 6 screws and you will get a first hand view of its new location.
No need to argue, just grab a screwdriver and in 3 minutes you will have answered your own question.

Last edited:
"Burning Man"... :huh:

sweetjeep: I had to pull the center console to redo my carpeting, so I decided to "test fit" the relocated air bag module in its old location -- sure enough, it fit.

Anyone know if air bag modules need replaced if the air bags have been deployed?

JEEPZZ, now I know what that obscure electronic device is in my overhead console! If I buy Chrysler keyless-entry key fobs, can the dealership reprogram them according to my VIN?

iroc86 said:
"Burning Man"... :huh:

sweetjeep: I had to pull the center console to redo my carpeting, so I decided to "test fit" the relocated air bag module in its old location -- sure enough, it fit.

Anyone know if air bag modules need replaced if the air bags have been deployed?

JEEPZZ, now I know what that obscure electronic device is in my overhead console! If I buy Chrysler keyless-entry key fobs, can the dealership reprogram them according to my VIN?
I dunno if this helps you, but i needed an extra remote for my keyless entry, and all i had to do was match up the numbers on the back of my existing remote to the new one. I just found one on ebay, made sure the numbers matched, and went to the dealer to have it programmed.

Burning Man... :laugh3: I never would have noticed that unless it was pointed out, dbxj! I was always bad at those "perception exercises" in school, anyway.

dakotus, thanks for the tip on the remotes. What numbers did you match up... the FCC ID, part number, etc.? I don't have a remote to compare to, but I wonder if the dealer could tell me the numbers I need to look for.

Thanks dbxj for posting the images...

Geez when I first posted the link I thought it was very obvious the pattern in the floor looked like Burning Man. Guess being a photographer helps me see things differently...

Burning Man is like going to New Orleans but you are in the desert on an acid trip, without actually doing drugs.

Johnny V said:
Thanks dbxj for posting the images...

Geez when I first posted the link I thought it was very obvious the pattern in the floor looked like Burning Man. Guess being a photographer helps me see things differently...

Burning Man is like going to New Orleans but you are in the desert on an acid trip, without actually doing drugs.

I fully saw the burning man. that's some funny right there.

Daryl

i have a radio shack 40 channel cb that is around 20 years old and works great with all the controls in the handset that i mounted under the drivers seat on that empty bracket

Back