• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

irok updates

YETI

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you running Iroks please let us know how ya like em. Also what sizes are you running and are you running bias or radial.
Pics are great to.

Sorry if this post is JU'ish.

thanks

i don't run them but i know a couple guys who do and they work awesome off-road. but like most swampers they will wear out fast if much travel is on the street(guys i know run strictly off-road) one size is 37" radial(i think ) and the other is bias ply, can't remember what size, 36" possibly. i just saw a set for sale at the Badlands and they feel real soft when you grab a lug (39.5 bias)

They seem to work really well when I saw a set running in the Dakotas. Checked out some at the local 4x4 shop and the lugs where soft but didn't seem overly so. I would think you could get some decent mileage out of them, 30-35k. I would try some but can't fit 36's yet, well could be don't want to. ;) Feathering of the edges seems to happen rahter quickly from others reports.

I have been running 36X13.5 irocs, I think they are great. We run mostly woods & mud around here. I will be trying rock at Moab in the spring.

I run the 36" IROK radials. They run noisy on the road (duh!) and climbed like a homesick angel on rock in Moab. You have to really air them down. I ran 4 psi on Hell's Revenge. The Intercos are pretty stiff so you have to air down off road. I did rip a lug off somewhere gnarly.

A buddy that I've been wheelin' with was running 36 bias. He said they weren't bad on the road and I watched them on the trail and was rather impressed. He wheels pretty much the same as me and he hadn't torn up the 36's bad(appx. 6-7K miles and wheelin every weekend)He has a set of 39.5's sitting in my shop now and I'm seriously considering them if I can't get my hands on a set of Krawlers soon.

OneTonXJ said:
A buddy that I've been wheelin' with was running 36 bias. He said they weren't bad on the road and I watched them on the trail and was rather impressed. He wheels pretty much the same as me and he hadn't torn up the 36's bad(appx. 6-7K miles and wheelin every weekend)He has a set of 39.5's sitting in my shop now and I'm seriously considering them if I can't get my hands on a set of Krawlers soon.

Hey dude, glad to see you crawled out from under a rock and paid us a visit. :)

I thought you'd show up on non-tech and give Rick some crap.....

:D

Reports in the Northern part of the US (us Alaska guys) are showing that the Irocks work good in the snow. A few guys run them here, one runs 36s the the 39s (or whatever size is around that). Work good at pretty much anything the trails here have to offer.

All the IRocs Ive see on the tough Rock trails are chewed up, chunked, and start out with smaller lugs then the Biased TSLs or SXs.

Im happy I went TSL biased over the Irock, would have went SX if they made big ones..

The Irocks may be more sticky then my TSLs but Id like to not buy a set every year.

I've been running the 36"x13.5" (bias) for almost a year now and i love um.
before these i was running 33" MTR's.......IMO the Iroks take more abuse, run better at lower pressure, have a better balance, and are quieter on pavement.
as stated above.....they are very soft and wear faster, but it's a fine line between performance on road and off.

some action shots
http://groups.msn.com/vegasoffroad/havasu.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3386

ashmanjeepxj said:
All the IRocs Ive see on the tough Rock trails are chewed up, chunked, and start out with smaller lugs then the Biased TSLs or SXs.

Im happy I went TSL biased over the Irock, would have went SX if they made big ones..

The Irocks may be more sticky then my TSLs but Id like to not buy a set every year.

Yeah, what you said.......they look 1/2 worn when new...

Warthog said:
before these i was running 33" MTR's.......IMO the Iroks take more abuse, run better at lower pressure, have a better balance, and are quieter on pavement.
as stated above.....they are very soft and wear faster, but it's a fine line between performance on road and off.

some action shots

Nice jeep and pics!!!!

Warthog said:

some action shots

Nice photos. Do the bias truly have a rounder crosssection as apossed to the radial design. Also how close to stated size are they?
Thanks.

Danno said:
I run the 36" IROK radials. They run noisy on the road (duh!) and climbed like a homesick angel on rock in Moab. You have to really air them down. I ran 4 psi on Hell's Revenge. The Intercos are pretty stiff so you have to air down off road. I did rip a lug off somewhere gnarly.

Heard the radials are very heavy in comparison to the bias. Can you notice the extra weight?
Saw the bias 36 wieghs 66#'s while the radial 36 weighs 81#'s.

they do have a round shape vs the more square radial
my iroks measured right at 36".........but that was at 30 psi.....can you say kidney buster.
on the street i run at about 24 psi with no problems and air down to 8.
the bias 36's weigh almost the same as the radial 33 mtr's. the weight savings is fine.......thats not to say lighter means less u-joint breakage......remember, more circumference equals more leverage. i popped 3 u-joints on my first four runs before upgrading axles and u-joints.

being a bias and at low pressure these tires literally rap around the rocks.....
yea being a soft compound they cut and chunk but the carcass is built off the swamper carcass......they simply hold up just fine. mine still hold air with no leaks at all.

I have had 2 sets. One was 39.5 bias plies on a 15" wheel. It was very ballooned on the top and bottom. They were on 10" wheels.

My new set are 39.5's also, but on 40 bolt MRT 17's. They are much flatter top and bottom and measure 40 3/4" on a 9" wheel at 10 psi on the Jeep.

I am looking forward to running them this upcoming season...

WNC Custom Jeeps said:
My new set are 39.5's also, but on 40 bolt MRT 17's. They are much flatter top and bottom and measure 40 3/4" on a 9" wheel at 10 psi on the Jeep.

That's interesting. I've got a set of 39.5's bias sitting here on 17" H2 rims and they measure exactly 39.5 with full pressure and off the vehicle. Incidentally, if anyone wants to know this combo weighs 118lbs.

Warthog said:
they do have a round shape vs the more square radial
my iroks measured right at 36".........but that was at 30 psi.....can you say kidney buster.
on the street i run at about 24 psi with no problems and air down to 8.
the bias 36's weigh almost the same as the radial 33 mtr's. the weight savings is fine.......thats not to say lighter means less u-joint breakage......remember, more circumference equals more leverage. i popped 3 u-joints on my first four runs before upgrading axles and u-joints.

being a bias and at low pressure these tires literally rap around the rocks.....
yea being a soft compound they cut and chunk but the carcass is built off the swamper carcass......they simply hold up just fine. mine still hold air with no leaks at all.

Exactly what kind of upgrades did you do to the D30 to beef it up. (who's products did you use and have they broke yet?)

YETI said:
Exactly what kind of upgrades did you do to the D30 to beef it up. (who's products did you use and have they broke yet?)

i put in a Currie dana 44 but kept the dana 30 outer assembly.
inner shafts are Currie's harden 30 spline shafts and the outers are spicer with 760 ujoints. i'm running 4:88's with a detriot locker.

so far so good......first run was the Rubicon and second was sledge hammer.
and aside from a broken sector shaft the rest of this season has been break free........if you don't count my roll over. :)

Iroks own TSL's anyday. Ive seen em both on about every condition.

Back