• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two things...

el minator

NAXJA Forum User
i need wheel bearings.... i can hear a howling noise coming from the rear.

i also need to change my O2 sensor ("EMISS MAINT" light is on)

what is the level of difficulty for these repairs? and where can i get the parts?

any/all info will be greatly apprecialted!!!1

if there's a post on these issues that i can refer to.. then please point me to the rught direction.
NAXJA is the greatest thing EVER!

I picked up my O2 sensors at the local NAPA, they had them in stock- somehwere around 60$ each if I remember correctly. One of them was a direct fit and the other was "universal" type- had to strip wires and use a supplied connector to hook to existing stock wires. no big deal to install those.

bearing hubs can be had at any national chain parts store.. as well as the O2 sensor.. use the search button and read what you find.. the O2 sensor can be a real Pain In The A$$.. i broke 2 snap-on sensor sockets doing mine last year.. but it made a world of difference when i put the new one in.. search on the "emmisions timer" also.. you can prety much un-plug it but there is more to it than that... the search button is your friend..

Lunatic728 said:
EMISS MAINT. light is a timer. I found mine forward of the hood latch release. You can just unplug the timer and forget about it.
if i don't change the O2 sensor... how will it affect my truck's performance?

it won't until the sensor fails. Most of the time it's very easy to tell when an o2 sensor goes haywire. the warning light is just programed to come on after a certain amount of miles

When the axle bearings go bad, the seal usually starts seeping. Worn carrier bearings will howl, usually change pitch between forward and reverse. Worn spider gears will also make noise. Check for seepage at the pinion seal, usually a sign the pinion bearing has some play. look close at the U joints, if they are dry or worn they will also make noise (and often vibrate).
Best thing is to put it up on jack stands and turn everything over by hand and test by feel. Pop the cover and pry up on the carrier, you can feel the bearing play. Inspect the spider gears and the thrust washers behind the side gears in the spider gear cluster.
The noise really doesn´t mean much, unless it´s the carrier bearings or the pinion bearings.
The pinion shouldn´t have any play and the carrier bearings very little. Most of the rest up to a few thousdanths, though I´ve seen them much looser than that.
When you drain the oil, save it in a clean bucket and run it through a paint or coffee filter, see what comes out.
I´ve followed, what sounded like rear end noise all the way into the tranny, it will fool you.

Back