• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pix for those of you who run 4wd on dry pavement

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Here are a couple of pix from a friends tcase who said it wouldn't hurt if you ran in 4wd on dry pavement. It was a wide chain and it still stretched so far it wore out the case and the chain finally jumped the sprockets.

Tcase 027.jpg

Tcase 030.jpg

Jes said:
Proof that chains and sprokets are for bicycles.
I would have thought it was more proof that believing your own b.s. can be fatal.

But that's just me. LOL

r@m

Was it making any distinct noises leading up to it before the chain broke? Like would there be a telltale sound that means get it back in 2hi ASAP!?

The chain didn't break. Those holes are from it rubbing because it was so stretched it could reach the side of the case. Like I said, it wasn't my vehicle. It was a buddies mid 90's Dodge Dakota. I can imagine it was making a bit of noise. The idiot saw a small hole in the case so he jb welded it, thinking it would hold:laugh3: I can bet that when the chain jumped the sprocket and took out the mounting for the tailcone, it made a LITTLE bit of noise. He kept driving, he said it was making a small grinding noise. Remind me not to loan him any of my vehicles.

I've read a couple of threads concerning running 4WD on pavement. I did not comment ... anything I could have contributed had already be submitted by others.

It does not matter to me when some say it will not hurt your drivetrain. I've read the owners manual that warns against doing this if you have Command-Trac (NP231 TC), and it's pretty obvious when you drive on pavement in 4WD that it puts a lot of stress on your drivetrain. This should be an adequate indication that it's not good ...

Les

Different tcase. The pix are of an NP231.

RWB214 said:
Was it making any distinct noises leading up to it before the chain broke? Like would there be a telltale sound that means get it back in 2hi ASAP!?

A badly stretched chain makes a rubbing/scrapping kind of noise as it rubs the inside of the case, but it's not real loud depending on how sensitive your ears are. Noises should be checked out.......as most of us know.

Now then, dry pavement at 50+ for three months is not smart .

Realize the normal operation of that tcase creates heat. A lot of heat. That case was ran for quite a while after it first leaked and lost all the oil. I would bet most of the damage seen is from the excessive heat after the oil was long gone. Not saying the heat from the stupid move didn't help start it all.

Playing the radio really loud as not to pay attention to your rig has nothing to do with the durability of the 231. :D

BTW Jes is right, took me a long time to realize gears are for tcases and chains are for bikes. :D

hinkley

Wow, kinda reminds me of a conversation I had with a manager at the Toy's "R" Us I worked at, who said he used the 4wd on his 96 or 97 S-Blazer, got kinda ****ed when I told him he was destroying some parts of his wife's truck.

To make things perfectly clear, this was a NP231, a part time 4x4 transfer case. There are tcases out there that are designed for full time 4 wheel drive and work fine. The problem comes when you don't know what type you have and you run the part time case all the time. This was a HD chain case and even it barfed.

My former 231 case has a notch milled into the botoom from a stretched chain, the former owner drove it 4wd on dry ground all the time, bad move, but I noticed it before it broke thru, wasnt ever "right" again even after a total rebuild - ultimately I wised up too, chains are definitely for bicycles and anchors ;-) I have seen other 231'as abused this way with the same result, it's kind of a common error imo - kind of like ignoring driveline vibes too long.

does a streched chain make a noise in 2wd? or just in 4 high? and is there any way to check with out taking apart your T case?

Liam

When the chain in the factory 'case on my Dad's '90 finally gave it would hit the case when ever he got on the gas, and it whiped the shavings and ATF into an aluminum colored slurry. He figured there was probably nothing left of the guts either.

old_man said:
To make things perfectly clear, this was a NP231, a part time 4x4 transfer case. There are tcases out there that are designed for full time 4 wheel drive and work fine. The problem comes when you don't know what type you have and you run the part time case all the time. This was a HD chain case and even it barfed.

The NP242 has a "Full Time" setting, which means it can be left in that setting all of the time.

BTW, I had a NP242 in an '89. The chain stretched to the point of slipping. It was so bad that the side of the chain was walking up the gears. It didn't rub through the case though. The 242 must have more room inside than the 231. I never knew about the chain stretch until I put it in FT and took off from a light and heard it skipping teeth. :shocked:

B-loose

Back