• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Bumper approach angle

akrazgpr

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a considerable difference in approach angle with " high mounted" winch bumpers (C4X4) and "low mounted" ( ARB) winch bumpers. It seems to me that the" high mounted " winch bumpers stick out much further from the grill than the ARB bumper and even though they are higher up they decrease your approach angle more. Can XJer's with the same lift hieght and tire size but different bumpers measure thier approach angle for comparisons

Thanks AJ

Actually, I would consider the C4x4 to be a low mount, as my entire winch is below the front grill, just as low as an ARB. Another parameter to consider is whether the winch tucks under the grill, right in front of that front cross member. I'll measure my bumper once I get back to Colorado.

theres pictures of one floating around here that is nearly the same specs as stock, maybe sticks out an inch further. requires cutting the front crossmember some though. i would have got one if i had seen it earlier.

Ramsey said:
theres pictures of one floating around here that is nearly the same specs as stock, maybe sticks out an inch further. requires cutting the front crossmember some though. i would have got one if i had seen it earlier.

i have the bumper you are refering too.

F-AOGTFq0auGr26EGmuZHmg

more pictures of it and the cutout of the crossmember

John

HOLD THE PHONES!!! Why would anybody consider taking away from a structure that is already questionable? A company called Rigidco makes some stout bumpers that don't interfere with radiator airflow, and only marginally increase approach angle. Their front bumper includes a crossmember that increases strength without saccrificing clearance. www.rigidco.com

90KrawlerXJ said:
HOLD THE PHONES!!! Why would anybody consider taking away from a structure that is already questionable? A company called Rigidco makes some stout bumpers that don't interfere with radiator airflow, and only marginally increase approach angle. Their front bumper includes a crossmember that increases strength without saccrificing clearance. www.rigidco.com
what are you flippin out for?! that bumper definitely adds way more rigidity up front than cuttin a little of that pathetic crossmember takes away.

yeah, from underneath. There is a hole right where the freespooling lever is. The front crossmember that was removed offered no structural support. The bottom part was just where the plastic air dam mounted to. The top part of the crossmember is still intact and that is what the radiator mounts to.

John

akrazgpr said:
Is there a considerable difference in approach angle with " high mounted" winch bumpers (C4X4) and "low mounted" ( ARB) winch bumpers. It seems to me that the" high mounted " winch bumpers stick out much further from the grill than the ARB bumper and even though they are higher up they decrease your approach angle more. Can XJer's with the same lift hieght and tire size but different bumpers measure thier approach angle for comparisons

It all depends on the design. There is a local guy that builds bumpers who are really nice: the winch still drops into them so that it doesn't interfere with your airflow while leaving you with a really nice approach angle. Also the sides angle up to give the tires better approach at the obstacles.

http://www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com/newprod.htm

Back