• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake system pump question

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of installing a Redneck Ram into my 2000XJ. I ran outa time and just put the modified box back in and didn't hook up the lines to the ram yet (ram also not installed.) The two fittings on the steering box are capped so as not to lose fluid. I poured fluid into the pump reservoir and started the motor and cycled the steering back and forth. Then added more fluid. Now the pump howls like a banshee. The fluid level is okay and the box turns real well. Why does the pump howl so bad now as it didn't before? Did the pump burn out that fast before the fluid was refilled? It was only about 30 seconds?

you have the stock steering pump inlet and outlet capped and are running the pump with the engine?? or is there something else to the system? the pump needs to curculate the fluid.. is it howling like it's straining , similar to when you have the steering maxxed out to one side? maybe a recurculation type setup will let it run smoothly.. it seems to me you are probably overheating the pump with it not circulating fluid..

Keep bleeding the system. Turn the key on, leave the engine off, jack up the front end and cycle lock to lock until no air bubbles are visible. Saginaw pumps can be a pain to bleed.

JonK

Back