• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 brake questions

BRPL XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got a xj d44 out of a salvage yard and i need to figure out if the brakes are ok before i drop it in. the axle itself is in decent condition and the brake shoes have a decent amount of wear left on them, but is there anything specific i need to look for on the brakes to make sure they dont crap out on me once i get the axle in? btw i will be doing a disc swap eventualy but until i get the funds im gonna stick with the drums, TIA

if you got it out of a salvage yard you really owe it to yourself to have the brakes at least turned and the shoes replaced. If you see any leaks then the rubbers inside will need to be replaced. Actually that is so easy and cheap you ought to do it anyway. They may be all original!
I'm looking at one also. what is the width mounting surface to surface?

Personally, if the brakes themselves look OK, I might just leave them, but I would replace the wheel cylinders. They aren't expensive and are the heart of the mechanical portion of the brakes. Like Danno said, you can have the drums turned for a few bucks and shoes are not that expensive. I think you could do the drums, shoes, and cylinders for $50-$60. Then you don't have to worry.

the shoes look pretty new, i guess once i get it in i'll take it to a brake shop and have them check it out, i wish i knew by looking at it if anything is messed up tho. thanks for the advice guys

Back