• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crunching sound from pass side

lumpy

NAXJA Forum User
well im leaning towards totaled hub or ??????..i got under and took a look at the axles of what i could see and nothing seems wrong...it does it on sharp turns and when its in 4....almost sounds like a cv, i know there isnt any though,lol...i just bought my 89 and im hitting a few problems here and there. i also just replaced the serpentine belt and about 300 miles after the install im getting a squeeking/slipping sound. i tightened the belt but its still there. im thinking altinator cause when the fan kicks on and im at a light the belt slips/squeeks and it only squeeks a tiny bit under hard acceleration.i just figured id post and get some ideas...oh and awesome website!!

thanks!
Sean

There are no CV joints, but there certainly are axle shaft universal joints if your Jeep is a 4WD one, and they are a prime suspect for your crunching. You should also check for play or noise in the front wheel bearings. No play at all is acceptable; the bearings are in a sealed hub unit. You can see the U-joints in the open portion of the steering knuckle, and if they're really bad, you can reach in and feel the play, but you're best off jacking up each wheel by the axle, and turning the wheel to test for looseness, noise and binding.

On the belt, you probably just need to tighten it more. You can get a tension gauge from NAPA to do it precisely, but as a first step, try twisting the belt, at its longest unsupported span. It should be just possible to twist it 90 degrees. If you're used to V-belts, chances are very good you haven't got this one tight enough. The correct tension is so tight that you will at first not believe it could be correct.

lumpy said:
well im leaning towards totaled hub or ??????..i got under and took a look at the axles of what i could see and nothing seems wrong...it does it on sharp turns and when its in 4....almost sounds like a cv, i know there isnt any though,lol...i just bought my 89 and im hitting a few problems here and there. i also just replaced the serpentine belt and about 300 miles after the install im getting a squeeking/slipping sound. i tightened the belt but its still there. im thinking altinator cause when the fan kicks on and im at a light the belt slips/squeeks and it only squeeks a tiny bit under hard acceleration.i just figured id post and get some ideas...oh and awesome website!!

thanks!
Sean

Check your sway bar bushing (the one that holds it up against the body).

like i was saying in my first post, i got under and inspected the axle from drivers side to pass side and noticed nothing wrong.im gonna jack it up and see how things feel.then start tearing into it.the u joints show no sign of anything being wrong. but thanks for the replys, im gonna have to take a look at the sway bars and bushings for sake of mind.

thanks again!
Sean

Back