• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instalation of T-case skid plate

Said

NAXJA Forum User
What type of bolts/nuts can be used for this application???
The OEM t-case skid plate on my 99 XJ is bolted on at an angle from the cross memeber to the unibody. The backside of cross member connections is accessible so I am able to reach in to reinstall new nuts. However the unibody connection is not accessible to install a nut on the inside of the unibody rail frame. It appears that the OEM connection is some type of a nut that is inserted into the frame some how, like an anchor. Can those types of bolts/nuts be replaced? Or what is the best way to connect that side of the skid plate to the unibody with out welding it on? Is welding going to be the only option?

Thanks for any ideas.
Said

Nevermind Re: Instalation of T-case skid plate

OK, I was unable to find anything about these bolts and nuts before. But in the past few minutes, I found that they are called nutserts. I will order a couple of them and put the skid plate on. Thanks for your time.

It might be difficult to get the nutserts inside the unibody. You could use large self-tapping bolts instead.

xjohnnyc said:
It might be difficult to get the nutserts inside the unibody. You could use large self-tapping bolts instead.
No, it's not difficult because they go in from the outside. They are like a big pop rivet. You insert the nutsert into the hole, thread in a long bolt with a nut and a couple of washers, tighten the nut down while holding the bolt with a wrench, and it collapses the sleeve on the nutsert inside the frame rail to lock it in place.

I bought one from the dealer to get the size, then took it to The Nutty Company (a local specialty fastener store) and bought a bag of 'em in the same size. I paid less for the bag of about 10 at The Nutty Company than I paid for one from the dealer. But I know I have the right thing.

I would tell you what size they were, but I don't remember.

If you can't find them locally, the Nutty Company has a web site. Don't know the URL, so just Google on "Nutty Company." They are in Derby, Connecticut.

I found nutserts at the hardware store. You have to go to a real hardware store, Loathes or Home Depot won't do.

Back