• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The jeep is gone if this is a major problem!

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is it I've had so many freakn problems with this thing, this is it after thins this jeep is gonna be drove off a cliff!

here my my problem, I jumped in the Jeep this morning started it up and it had just a weird sound to it so I shut if off and started it back up and it just idled like crap, shut it off again turned it on and it ran fine...so I figured it was just a rough cold start....ran fine the rest of the day. I was home for a 4 hours then jumped in to start it and it did it again, so I did what I did last time and I got it going....went down the road and the revs stuck at 2,000!!! I quickly got it to a parking lot and road the brakes put it to park they the revs started to shoot up to 3,500 I turned off the motor quickly. Hit myself a few times tryed to start it and the motor is just bogging down at idle I shut it off and turned it back on again and it ran fine back home. WTF can cause this, I guess some POS sensor please help asap...I have to get this running good for my road trip back to Oregon.

ok I'll replace that.....is there anything else I should check or replace? now that I think about it, it probably can only be a couple things TPS, TB, or a Fukd up computer....which wouldn't suprise me knowing my luck

There is another passageway, in the top of the throttel body. In the passage there is a piston, that opens and closes (IAC, idle air controller) to add or subtract a little air, to keep your idle fairly consistant. If that piston gets stuck open or there is a piece of stuff stuck between the seat and piston, it will run your idle up pretty high.
Could also be a vauum leak, though this is usually a it does or it don´t type thing, not intermittant.
Most ways, if your getting too much air to the O2 sensor for whatever reason, it will run your idle up. From the IAC, a vacuum leak or rarley from a cracked exhaust manifold (only seen one that did that). A faulty O2 sensor will usually starve you for fuel, to much air will run your idle up. There are a few other sensors that can mess with your idle, TPS sensor, MAP even the temp. senors, but I´ve never/rarley. seen them run it up that high.
Sounds dumb, but I had one that had a piece of carpet/padding stuck under the gas pedal, almost killed me, kind of thing you don´t forget.

Last edited:
You mentioned the rpms staying high. Several things can cause this. Vacuum leaks tend to top the list. Second would be either a TPC or an IAC. Never overlook a sticky throttle cable or a busted return spring.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. You did say you had the manifold off recently, there may be a connection between the two. Get some leak check solution and take a look.

Get a butane plumers torch and run it around the running engine (unlit), if there is a vac leak the engine idle will increase. This will help pinpoint a vac leak. I just had exactly the same problem and it ended up being the IAC valve.

Back