• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belt

I did mine at around 100,000 then again at around 200,000mi, now it's a spare under the back seat. Just keep an eye on it and a new spare handy. I also did the idlers at the same time and one of my krikitII's is in there too...

By the way, according to what I've read, you do not have to worry about the little cracks that appear in the belt ribs. Just make sure there are no chunks coming loose, no fraying, and no damage on the flat side.

I just had to replace mine... 75k miles. The new one is one of those nice goodyear gatorbacks. the old one is in the back. took about 15 mins. use a 15mm socket/wrench.

490Chaser said:
I just had to replace mine... 75k miles. The new one is one of those nice goodyear gatorbacks. the old one is in the back. took about 15 mins. use a 15mm socket/wrench.

You must have a recent model. The older ones are tensioned by the power steering pump, require a 13 mm. wrench on several bolts and the adjuster, and usually take a little longer than 15 minutes.

The common time to replace the belt is when there are 7 cracks per inch on the ribs.If it is squeeking or slipping or if over 60,000 miles,replace it.
This belt drives everything any you won,t go far without it.
Wayne

Matthew Currie said:
You must have a recent model. The older ones are tensioned by the power steering pump, require a 13 mm. wrench on several bolts and the adjuster, and usually take a little longer than 15 minutes.

Yup, on the 97+ the tension adjustment is done with the idler pulley, I use one of these wrenches http://www.mactools.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNum=SBTMSET makes life alot easier.... works on all three jeeps, xj and two tj's also grabs and holds the oldsmobiles tension arm. I don't have the set just the 15mm 16mm 1/2 3/8 one.

what if someone (me) were to want to upgrade to the newer style with a real tensioner? how many parts are different?

also, i am in need of a new idler pulley. I don't have AC, so I actually have 2. the one to the right of where the AC goes has failed. Kragen has listings for AC and non-AC idler pulleys. the AC part number looks like the one that failed and the non-AC part looks like the one where the AC is supposed to be. does anyone have the right part numbers? i think my second idler pully is really the AC pump pully set up on a dummy bracket as a placeholder for the AC and really I have both parts, as they are both idler pulleys. can anyone confirm or deny this?

PapaPump said:
what if someone (me) were to want to upgrade to the newer style with a real tensioner? how many parts are different?

also, i am in need of a new idler pulley. I don't have AC, so I actually have 2. the one to the right of where the AC goes has failed. Kragen has listings for AC and non-AC idler pulleys. the AC part number looks like the one that failed and the non-AC part looks like the one where the AC is supposed to be. does anyone have the right part numbers? i think my second idler pully is really the AC pump pully set up on a dummy bracket as a placeholder for the AC and really I have both parts, as they are both idler pulleys. can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it's the original you should see the Chrysler part number etched on the front of the pulley somewhere.

i bought the AC-equipped pulley ($17 wholesale). it is the same as the one i needed. basically if you have a non-AC jeep, you have both PNs and may need the idler pulley listed for AC-equipped jeeps.

RichP said:
Yup, on the 97+ the tension adjustment is done with the idler pulley, I use one of these wrenches http://www.mactools.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNum=SBTMSET makes life alot easier.... works on all three jeeps, xj and two tj's also grabs and holds the oldsmobiles tension arm. I don't have the set just the 15mm 16mm 1/2 3/8 one.

Wouldn't a 15mm open end wrench with a 1" dia pipe cut to length as an extension work too?

rumblebelly said:
Wouldn't a 15mm open end wrench with a 1" dia pipe cut to length as an extension work too?
It's a really tight fit between the fan and the idler pulley bolt on the late model XJ's. I wound up using a Sears PS belt wrench, which is basically flat bar stock with a 3/8" drive welded on the end, and a 15mm crows foot. Even that combo barely fit...

You could always remove the fan to fit your basic socket wrench, but why hassle with that?

Ivan

Besides, quit arguring, we're giving you a legitimate reason to buy a new and useful tool, sheesh.... :D

97XJ said:
How often should you replace?

I do mine every other year..... Schedule "B" to the 2nd. power....
Thats interesting to know about the cracks being acceptable...
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back