• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

401 in an XJ?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 401 not doing anything now, has anybody ever put a 401 in an XJ?

Was just wondering, probably not gonna go thru with it

Zoro said:
I've got a 401 not doing anything now, has anybody ever put a 401 in an XJ?

Was just wondering, probably not gonna go thru with it
You have to pass emissions there? If so forget it. BTW why a 401 other then you have one? I would do a small block even if I had to buy one just for the size and the MPG.

DrMoab said:
You have to pass emissions there? If so forget it. BTW why a 401 other then you have one? I would do a small block even if I had to buy one just for the size and the MPG.
Well, a 401 is small-block sized. AMC 304, 360 and 401 all share the same block dimensions and I think there have been a few 304 swaps into Cherokees; emissions concerns would be a big thing to look into before doing much other research.

Yes, it's doable and since the AMC V8 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4.0, it'll bolt up to your existing tranny. It's wider than the 4.0 though so it'll be a tight fit. You'll need to relocate or fab new engine mounts and that's easy enough, but getting headers to fit in the tight space will be a bigger challenge. Your main headache will be sorting out the electrics for the gauges and the ignition. I assume that you'll be running a carb (perhaps Edelbrock 600cfm carb on Edelbrock manifold).
You'll need to find out before you even start if it's legal in PA to swap an engine from an earlier year into your XJ. If not, forget the idea and just build up a stroker if you really want more power.

what year XJ?

If you have a renix you could say, quite accurately, this engine is from a wagoneer from the same year.

If asked why that matters show a picture of the XJ waggy. see they're the same...

remember a 360 and a 401 are identical externally ,other than the number under the motor mount pad. Who's gonna look anyway?

Same year same Make. XJ, FSJ like the department of motionless victims will know what you're talking about.

this is probably BS but it's a thought. probably a bad thought...
I would have no moral qualms about emissions with replacing a dead 2.5 with a well tuned v8

yuppiexj said:
what year XJ?

If you have a renix you could say, quite accurately, this engine is from a wagoneer from the same year.

If asked why that matters show a picture of the XJ waggy. see they're the same...

remember a 360 and a 401 are identical externally ,other than the number under the motor mount pad. Who's gonna look anyway?

Same year same Make. XJ, FSJ like the department of motionless victims will know what you're talking about.

this is probably BS but it's a thought. probably a bad thought...
I would have no moral qualms about emissions with replacing a dead 2.5 with a well tuned v8

i don't know about your state, but here the state has every factory spec from every vehicle in their books... i belive it's a FEDERAL law that engine swaps must be the same year or newer than the recipient vehicle AND it must match a configuration that was available from the factory.. thats why so many can get away with V8 in their wranglers.. because they were once available in the body (although not since the 79 CJs i believe) not many "barney fifes" around enforcing emmision laws these days that would fall for the old "they really came that way" line..... there are steps you can take to register a modified vehicle as a "special interest" vehicle but i understand you need to show CARB-exemption letters for every part installed and such....

go 4.6L stroker...

I was just wondering, like I said I'm probably not ever going to do it. No emision requirments in the part of PA where I live but gas is so **** expensive now I think I'm going to stick with my 4.0

That's the first time I've heard someone say they're sticking with the 4.0L for the gas milage

Back