• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas & Exhaust IN CAB!

JKooshTJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm freaking out and getting tired all at the same time. My Cherokee is getting worse. Now I smell gas all the time, in the jeep and outside. I can smell it like 5-10 feet away. When I get in the smell is super strong and the exhaust seems like it's directly piped in the cab. I only have the flloor drain holes open in the floor so possible exhaust might get in there but it's gotta be coming from somewhere else. The tank has very small droplets of gas under it every once in a while. Someone please help with advice on what and where to check for the gas problem. I figure a new exhaust will cure that problem. I'm at the point where I'm ready to get rid of it because the drive makes me sleepy from the fumes and my eyes burn and get bloodshot. Thanks.

HC :wierd:

BTW: 88 XJ Pioneer, 3" lift and everything else is super old. Oh and I have no hoses for emissions under the hood. Ugh.

JKooshTJ said:
I'm freaking out and getting tired all at the same time. My Cherokee is getting worse. Now I smell gas all the time, in the jeep and outside. I can smell it like 5-10 feet away.
Look at the fuel injectors for evidence of leaks.
injector.jpg

If they're leaky, DO NOT DRIVE IT!!! Replace the leaky part, whether it's the o-rings or the injector body itself.

88 XJ Pioneer, 3" lift and everything else is super old. Oh and I have no hoses for emissions under the hood. Ugh.
I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with the smell... :lecture:

JKooshTJ said:
"...everything else is super old." "...no hoses for emissions..."

Yucca Man is right - first check for fuel leaks along the fuel rail. You might also have a vacuum problem. There's a coffee-can sized cylinder above the oil filter. It’s a charcoal canister whose purpose is to eliminate the fuel smell from the system. If you have no hoses for emissions (not quite sure what this means), you might not have vacuum to the canister, and therefore, no way to disperse the fuel smell. The canister could just be "super old" and may need to be replaced.

Last edited:
I found a cracked rubber hose going to/from the canister. Fixed it and did the trick.

Yucca Man It's definately the fuel rail. I started it up today and cranked on the gas and it made 3 of the 4 injectors VERY damp right away. What's the process in replacing the o-rings? I don't have much of a choice in driving it today, I have to, but I'll fix it this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

HC

I f you can find the Haynes manual, it shows the procedure in fairly good detail and it has pics

OK so here's the deal. I changed out the o-rings on the top and bottom of the fuel injectors and cleaned the injectors. I also got some fuel injector cleaner and cleaned them all out and added cleaner to the gas tank. I thought they leaked before! UGH Now the smell is even more unbearable and the o-rings seem to be a pointless swap. I swear it leaks more now! Is it possible that the guy sold me the wrong size o-rings? I'm frustrated and don't have the cash to get a new jeep. Please help!

The injectors on that vintage rig were known for sometimes leaking through the injector body where the plastic and metal body bits come together.

If it were my rig, I'd just replace the whole injectors - considering how many underhood fires I've read about (one in the dealer lot when the owner pulled in to get new injectors), I'd be reluctant to take the chance on just doing the o-rings.

Speaking of the o-rings, is it possible that you damaged them when you installed them? That could possibly explain worse leakage as well.

In any event, I agree with the board sentiment - don't drive this thing anywhere until this is fixed. It's a bar-b-q waiting to light off.

Good luck.

Rob

Rob is right. Several years ago I had one injector body leaking on my '90. Replaced it and shortly after another was showing signs of weeping at the body of the injector.
Replace them all now.
You can go here and get a set of six Denso's for 159.00:

FIVEOMotorsport

Some have had good luck finding some slightly used Mustang 19lb takeouts on Ebay for good prices.

If $$$ are an issue, post a wanted post on this board and then go over to yahoo and their stroker forum. Almost all the guys pull the stock injectors and go with a bigger size, so I'm sure you could find a set of usable injectors for cheap.

If you have to drive it till you get the money together for a new set of injectors or what ever, you should at least get a fire extinguisher and keep it in the jeep. My headlight switch was melting and I took the one out of my kitchen and put it in the jeep, not I need a new one for the kitchen cause I feel much better with it in there, even though I have fixed the switch.

Back