• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD trans in a 4x4? Chrysler 904

natep1

NAXJA Forum User
How hard is it to convert a 2wd tranny for a 4x4? I have seen the articles in the various 4x4 mags and from what I have read, it doesnt seen too bad.
Reason,
I have seen a cheap XJ w/a bad tranny (86 2.8 auto) and I have a 5000mi 2wd 904 from an 82 Concord.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

I believe the tranny behind that enginestock is the Chrysler 999 three speed, and the 904 has overdrive. They should have the same bolt pattern though, but I am not sure. After that its just a matter of getting the correct lengrth rear driveshaft if the new tranny is longer and matching the output splines of the tranny up with the input of the t-case.

jeepguy97 said:
I believe the tranny behind that enginestock is the Chrysler 999 three speed, and the 904 has overdrive. They should have the same bolt pattern though, but I am not sure. After that its just a matter of getting the correct lengrth rear driveshaft if the new tranny is longer and matching the output splines of the tranny up with the input of the t-case.

904 does not have OD. The 999 is a 904 case with stronger internals. The real question is: Does the bellhousing of the AMC tranny bolt to the 2.8?

I believe to make a 904 RWD tranny work in the 4WD application you need to remove the rwd tailshaft and bolt on the 4wd tailshaft/tcase.

Travis

Back