• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 ?

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
first off does anyone know if a 92 ford explorer has a 8.8 rear end? and if so is it worth it? i know it doesnt have discs but other than that. I can get one for free im just not sure if it is what i want....

Brett

yes a 92 has a 8.8. What its worth I don't know. They are less desirable because they have drums instead of discs. I picked up a 91 8.8 with 4.56's and a tru trac for $300

hightimes2 said:
yes a 92 has a 8.8. What its worth I don't know. They are less desirable because they have drums instead of discs. I picked up a 91 8.8 with 4.56's and a tru trac for $300

so you are running it? i dont really care about the discs, xj came with drums and they work fine, plus im not running monster 38 inch meats. all i want is a axle stronger than the D35 so i can lock it up.

do you know if it is a 31 spline axle?

it should be 31 spline shafts. I've been running mine for about a year now with no problems. mostly with 35's and I went up to 37's a few months ago

it will have drums and 31 splines. the big disadvantage to drum in this application is that since it is a c-clip axle if you break a shaft or c-clip you will loose your wheel, with discs the caliper will hold it on.

it's a good axle. good, not great. if the price is great, then good. :laugh3:

aldumoul said:
it's either 31 or 26. dont forget to match the gears with the front.

26 what? not splines. some rangers, mustangs, early broncos, etc had 28 spline.

exploder 8.8 = 31 spline. older = drums, newer = disks.

if you can get it for free its definitely worth the swap. its a huge improvement over the 35.

breaking an 8.8 shaft would be pretty tough wouldnt it?? right now i have 31s and plan on locking it up. I could always get spare shafts...although changing them would be a PITA on the trail.

You should be fine with the pre 95' ford 8.8 with the drum brakes. You have to snap the big 31 spline axle shafts before the you will lose your tire, opposed the the 27 splines you can break without trying in the dana 35. I saw quite a few pre 95' ford 8.8 at the pnp in Rancho Cordova off of Sunrise last weekend. You should be able to get 1 for around $100 or so. Otherwise try to get a 95'+ with the disc brakes for $325+. If you are going to gear it anyways, you should look for 1 with 3.27 or 3.55 gears and open carrier to get it the cheapest as possible.

Back