• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wind noise

highhilleer

NAXJA Forum User
Got my 97 SE on the interstate for the first time today and other than wind noise it was a pleasure. Cruise set to 72 mph and no problems climbing the "mountains" around here.

The wind noise sounds like it is the air comming over the roof (no roof rack). Has anyone else noticed this??
How about removing the headliner and placing some sound deadner, like dynomat, against the roof? Anybody tried? Would there be room without causing a bulge in the headliner?
Other suggestions?
TIA

the wind noise...umm....It's a Jeep thing- you'll soon understand

- and I have my rig completely dynamated, expensive but well worth it. There is plenty of room for a layer of d-mat on the roof. I have 1 layer on the doors, roof and 2 layers on the floor and back hatch.

Sparkman said:
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you think it cost? I drive mostly highway miles and would like to quiet things down a bit.
you can get a bulk pack off www.etronics.com or seach ebay, they are about the same price 36 sq ft for bout 95$ is the cheapest... dont get the crap deadeners on ebay though ( fatmat brown bread etc etc) they are the same thing as commercial roof sealers. OR you could be a crutchfield fan and pay $250 for the EXACT same thing as the $95 ebay one- hmm thats a toughy. I'd pick up 2 if I was you and get the floor (biggest source of noise) followed by the doors. If you have any left over after that do the roof next followed by the rear hatch. It took 3 bulk packs and a door kit ( what I started off with) to finish everything.

I'd be looking for the cause before trying to insululate it.
Leaking window? Ceased fan clutch? Tire noise?

gjxj said:

Thanks, but...

None of the above, just the sound of air flowing over the roof. I think it is just the fact that I'm more used to driving a "well padded" vehicle. This is my first Jeep experience.

gjxj said:
its a brick moving at highway speeds, its gonna make noise. D-mat will isolate the cab from the outside noise signifigantly, lower resonance, lessen vibrations, reflect heat comming in through the floor, keep more heat in in the winter, and greatly improve the accustics in the cab. o-yeah get d-mat xtreme, not the regular d-mat if you can afford it, works a lot better.

Its not so much the air flowing over the roof as it is the noise coming from the cowl area air inlet. High pressure area, turbulent too. My '01 drives me crazy there, especially when it rains. Sounds like an old percolator type coffee maker, and it is common to '01s anyway. Good luck.

highhilleer, how's the sound from your fuel pump? Do you plan to quiet that down, as well? The one on my son's '89 is so darn loud... wish I knew of a brand that was quiet! Uggh. I'm surprised if you don't find that annoying, too, as you quiet everything else down.. -Rick

you think yours sounds bad? Try my 92 with over 200k on the clock. I have 6.5 lift 35s, and the doorless mod. Due to years of flexing i have about a 1/2 gap in each front door. the hatch rattles and all my gear and tools in the back... my 98 tj makes even more noise when i run my soft top. Makes even more noise with no top-

Its a Jeep thing!

Kyle Petterson said:
This is why you're Jeep came with a stereo.
so you brought up a thread that was 4 months old to make a quip.
and I see it's your first post as well.
nominated.
Welcome to NAXJA

87manche said:
so you brought up a thread that was 4 months old to make a quip.
and I see it's your first post as well.
nominated.
Welcome to NAXJA

wow.....just wow :looney:

I know it an old thread but I found this in the Picture Forum and thought I would share it.

FYI not my XJ or my Sticker (but I want one).

jeep-cherokee-xj-aerodynami.jpg

Back