• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 seat bracket

jrgilchrist

NAXJA Forum User
i want to put the old style seat brackets into my 98 was wondering what problems i might run in to. i have read that there was a change in the design where it bolts to the floor but the seat itself should bolt right on to the old bracket. Is this correct? and what would i have to do to get them to fit?

thanks for reading my pointless post but appreciate any help.

Not pointless at all, but might be fruitless. The seats changed a good deal in 95 and again I think by 98. I doubt you'll be able to do it without some real modification either of the floor mounting points or the seat base. Your best bet would be to go to a junkyard with a tape measure and see if you can chart it out. Then report back here if you figure out a way to get a pre-95 seat into any later model, because inquiring minds and aching backs want to know.

Matthew Currie said:
Not pointless at all, but might be fruitless. The seats changed a good deal in 95 and again I think by 98. I doubt you'll be able to do it without some real modification either of the floor mounting points or the seat base. Your best bet would be to go to a junkyard with a tape measure and see if you can chart it out. Then report back here if you figure out a way to get a pre-95 seat into any later model, because inquiring minds and aching backs want to know.

My 98 had a broken seat, drivers side, resulted in aching back and walking funny. Finally took it to a small upholstery shop and they stripped the seat, fixed the broken welds, welded in some gussets to strengthen it then repacked it with new firmer foam.
Best $50 I ever spent on the jeep....

jrgilchrist said:
i want to put the old style seat brackets into my 98 was wondering what problems i might run in to. i have read that there was a change in the design where it bolts to the floor but the seat itself should bolt right on to the old bracket. Is this correct? and what would i have to do to get them to fit?

thanks for reading my pointless post but appreciate any help.
The floorpan in the areas where the front seat mounts is SIGNIFICANTLY different between the 98 and older XJ's. I suppose anything is possible, but be prepared for some MAJOR custom work to get an old seat to fit on the newer floorpan.

Back