• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 bolt up issue -Please help

MaineGuide

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting an aw4 back in my 1987 4.0 commanche truck. The transmission is nearly together with the engine, -about 1/2 inch apart, but it does not want to go the rest of the way, I have used long bolts to draw it together but it just doesn't want to go --any suggestions?

On the tourque converter , there a two slots on the end of the output sleave , did I miss two tabs on the back of the transmission input? or do these just go together tough?

It shouldn't be that tight. If these are sourced from seperate vehicles check to see that you don't have alignment pins in both sections that are conflicting with one another, I had that happen one time. The pin from the engine remained there when I took the old trans off, and the donar trans also had a pin in it, so they would not mate together. Also be sure your torque converter is seated all the way, you can damage the front seal if you end up forcing it on.

Is the torque converter up against the flex plate and you still have a 1/2" to go? If so, your torque converter is not seated properly and you will damage the pump if you force it.

The TC should have three distinct steps as you install it into the bell housing. To install it properly, you rotate it slowly clockwise while gently pushing it in. If I remember correctly, it should fit about 1" in from the front face of the bell housing when fully seated. When installed to the motor, you should have free rotation of the TC when disconnected from the flexplate.

Scott

If you had a manual tranny in this before there will be a pilot bushing in the end of the crank. It has to come out so that the snout on the torque converter can fit in the end of the crank.

Two things to watch -

1) Correct - there is a pilot bushing for the former input shaft nose. Remove it, you don't need it with the auto (it's about 5/8" long, IIRC.)

2) The two slots on the TC snout mate with the drive tangs for the front pump in the transmission case. No front pump mate-up - no worky. Force front pump - build new one. Just TRY getting a front pump by itself...

Take you time here. I usually find it easier to install a short stud (M10x1.5) in one of the TC holes, put the TC all the way into the transmission, and use the stud to align the TC with the flexplate. Put it all home, remove the stud, and bolt up. Saves about a half-hours' wrestling...

5-90

Re: AW4 -UPDATE --more help

Ok, figured out what I did...or didn't do.Thanks for the help so far. The Torque convertor wasn't in all the way. Now any way to figure out if I screwed up the oil pump in the trans?

Back