• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mile Marker hub convertion

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
hey,

i have read all the old posts involving the MM convertion and was interested in understanding a few things.

1 - on MM website http://www.milemarker.com/equipment.html they list the 297 U joint as being 95+ I thought all ABS d30's had the 297 u joint. does this mean it wont work with my 92 XJ with ABS?

2 - The only advantage to the Warn kit is the alloy INNER axle shafts that are included? (and possibly stronger hubs)

3 - could i purchase Warn inner shafts if i broke my stock ones and sould they work with the MM kit?

4 - anyone have any problems with the MM kit? everyone seems to be knocking it at second rate, but i have yet to hear any true negitive things said from actual breakage...

i would like to hear from all thoes running the kit, and would rather not hear about speculation...

thanks for any help and ideas...

And no, i dont want to do the d44 knuckle convertion that bellavisa posted on pbb...

Cliff Notes - Mile Marker maunel locking hub convertion, good or not worth the cash?

-XJ_Ranger

I have the MM hub kit and have done two runs at Paragon on mostly upper blues and have not had any problems. Love the kit. I believe the inners are alloy on the MM kit, the only difference I see is the warn hubs are a high quality alloy, which are useable on the MM kit, I've been told. As far as what breaks first it will be the hub, which is an easy trail fix, just pull the tire, pop off hub, put new one on, pretty easy. Now if I was running a full locker up front then I would get the Warn HD kit, but if I had an ARB, I would worry about it, the MM kit would be fine. Another plus is the gas mileage I've picked up, about 3 mpg's, I am getting anywhere around 285 to 350 miles between fill-ups, not bad considering what I am driving, and depending how I get awn it at stop lights or how much highway miles I drive.

Summit Racing sells it for 699.00. Check out there website and do a search.
part number: 33-50020
Look under mfg name, and put in that part number and your good to go. Juice

I have the Warn kit 5 on 4.5 and it does not come with alloy inners just the outers which are alloy. I dont believe the MM kit comes with inners either. You can use the Warn alloy inners on both kits. I use the Warn inners with my kit and an Aussie locker up front with 35" tires and have had no breakage.

I got mine for $599 delivered. can't remember the site, but if you search MM kit, you'll find the link.

Oh yeah the MM kit came with new 760 u-joints. Non-gearseable, but they were new. I didn't put them in, because of this fact. Up here in salt country, you need greaseable everything, if you want it to last.

I have the Mile Marker hubs. I bought them from truckperformance.com for $600.
I've put them though a lot of abuse over the past year. No problems with either hub and one even had a good size chunk taken out of it from Tuttle Creek's Rock Garden. It still works fine. I picked up some fuel mileage and since the front drive shaft doesn't turn anymore on the highway my vibes are gone. My tires are 32", if yours are bigger you may have different results. Best thing I've done after both lockers.

CartsXJ said:
I got mine for $599 delivered. can't remember the site, but if you search MM kit, you'll find the link.

Oh yeah the MM kit came with new 760 u-joints. Non-gearseable, but they were new. I didn't put them in, because of this fact. Up here in salt country, you need greaseable everything, if you want it to last.
760 u joints? thats huge... not sure that would fit in my knuckle well...

found them on truck performance for 631.00 + shipping
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=56d&sortorder=AA&productcategory=Locking+Hubs+%26+4WD+Accessories&category=Drivetrain&mode=change&sf1=JEEP&sf2=1992&sf4=Front+Hub+Conversions&sf3=CHEROKEE

back to my question at the begining:

why does the kit not work with 297 U joints if you have a vehicle older than 95? anyone know the answer to that?

thanks in advance

XJ_ranger said:
760 u joints? thats huge... not sure that would fit in my knuckle well...

found them on truck performance for 631.00 + shipping
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype=56d&sortorder=AA&productcategory=Locking+Hubs+%26+4WD+Accessories&category=Drivetrain&mode=change&sf1=JEEP&sf2=1992&sf4=Front+Hub+Conversions&sf3=CHEROKEE

back to my question at the begining:

why does the kit not work with 297 U joints if you have a vehicle older than 95? anyone know the answer to that?

thanks in advance

The x-760 u-joint is the new version of the spicer x-297 supposedly stronger.

CartsXJ said:
The x-760 u-joint is the new version of the spicer x-297 supposedly stronger.
cool, anyone know about the reason for the 95+ designation on the axle kits? the 95+ use the 297 (or 760 u-joint) but the 84-94 use the 260 u-joint, ANYone know why i couldnt use a 95+ kit on a 92?

TIA

XJ_ranger said:
cool, anyone know about the reason for the 95+ designation on the axle kits? the 95+ use the 297 (or 760 u-joint) but the 84-94 use the 260 u-joint, ANYone know why i couldnt use a 95+ kit on a 92?

TIA

you can you will just need the '95 or newer axle shafts with the larger ujoints.

After searching through the archives...not finding anything in direct connection to this other than one other thread...Heres my question...

For the people who dont have money trees planted out back, would it be feasable to swap in older CJ knuckles/hubs, and bolt them right up?

I know the bolt patterns will change...but I have a 9 inch sitting out back waiting to be donated to a good cause...

After getting hit with 250+ for a wheel bearing hub assembly...makes me want to try something not so high dollar....

I have drive line vibe from the front axle as well...Turning that DS rotation off would be sweet...

Any ideas?

Unfortunately the CJ knuckles are different. Don't know why they feel it's neccesary to redesign the wheel every time they make a new model. Do it right the first time and stick with it.

I posted the link to billavista's write-up for Moore4x4, not for opie

xjranger's post was over a year ago and he has a 44 now :twak:

jonboy said:
I posted the link to billavista's write-up for Moore4x4, not for opie

xjranger's post was over a year ago and he has a 44 now :twak:

and i like it

Right now i dont even have axle shafts - but i do have manual hubs and $1200 less in my pocket!

Hmmm, seems like someone could take an old CJ D30 and flip it upsde down and weld up your coil and arm perches...then you would achieve the same thing right? Other than changing some brakes and such around it would mean a lot less cutting and welding regarding the yokes/knuckles...

Or am I missing the point?

I once was told that D30's are all the same cept for some have the vac actuated stuff...silly eh?

Back