• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber coming out of vibration damper - How to Fix?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I just noticed on my '89 XJ I-6 the rubber is coming out of the vibration damper pulley. I tried to push it in with a screwdriver but didn't have really good leverage.

Is this common? I'm going to install a new water pump in a few days should I take off the vibration damper pulley to fix it or is there a way to fix it while it's still on the engine?

Thanks,

John V.

The only fix is to replace it. You should do it before things come apart and it takes out the radiator. Tellico4x4 used to have a good price on them.

I paid about $70 at the dealer... Not a bad job to do, took about 2 hours. Big hint, get your hands on a dampener puller, it'll make the job A LOT easier, I paid $8 at autozone for it and I loosened the crank bolt by cranking the engine over for a split sec with a socket and breaker bar wedged.

I got the damper for 45 bucks or so from NAPA. I have a steering wheel/damper puller, I bought from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks. I used a chain pipe wrench to keep the damper from turning while loosening the bolt.

Thanks guys!

So I can't just take off the pulley and force the rubber back in?

When I pull it off there's no orientation of the pulley I need to worry about?

The more I dig deeper, the more money I spend!

It is an injection molded piece that isn't just a flat stuff it back in piece. There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in that rotating piece of metal and the rubber has to transmit it along with the force to run the accessories. After a while the rubber just starts going south. It one of those maintenance items just like tires and shocks.

Johnny V said:
Thanks guys!

So I can't just take off the pulley and force the rubber back in?

When I pull it off there's no orientation of the pulley I need to worry about?

The more I dig deeper, the more money I spend!

Sorry Johnny, there's no bandaid fix for this, replace the dampener. Running it like that for an extended period will only increase the chance of you throwing a belt and leaving you stranded. You can find a dampener for about $40, replace the crankshaft oil seal located behind the dampner while you're at it and consider replacement of the serpentine belt as well if it's got more than 70K miles on it.
good luck

Thanks Everyone!

I'll get the crankshaft oil seal while I'm at it - it's only money!

Actually I don't mind spending money on my Jeep. It's served me well for so long and complained very little.

Back