• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New computer woes

BAMCHEROKEE88

NAXJA Member #976
I replaced the ECM this weekend. It seemed to work great, smooth idle and no bucking. This morning I stopped before work and upon coming out she wouldn`t start. It turns but won`t fire up. Switched back the old computer in the parking lot and It starts fine, but with the same old problems. The new computer was reman. but worked this weekend. Any guess`s other then I got a bad computer?

IMO, for every faulty sensor, there are probably 10 faulty or marginal connections in the harness.
I´ve never changed a sensor, except an 02 sensor (in 17 years). Though I do have a trail set, for tests.
I´ve found frayed wires and connections, corroded connectors, bad grounds, water in every connector at one time or another. I´ve resistance tested, most every cable for every sensor and have found resitance (that shouldn´t be there) in most every sub system at one time or another.
Sensors aren´t the first thing on my troubleshooting list. Though they can and will fail, I´ve found it´s usually something else.
The last big problem I had, was a helpfull friend, sprayed wD 40 in some of my connectors, trying to get me going after a mud bath. Found out later WD-40 has resistance, when dry it leaves a coat of wax.
First step is to find out why it´s not starting, basics, fuel? spark? Then figure out which sub system is causing the problem.
For your problem, I´d probably try a CPS test at the ECU connectors. Test the CPS, through all the connectors, just like it would run normally. Think it´s D1 and C1 at the ECU, should be around 200 ohms. If you get a significantly high ohm reading, check the CPS and subtract, will tell you how much resistance is in the wiring and connectors.
No start on mine has often been a loose connector or moisture in the ignition system, eather the high voltage side or the low voltage side (impulse) or the supply voltages.
Remember there are two (almost) totaly seperate, control systems for the ignition, one for start and one for run.
And for the fuel system three, start, run and temperature.
Question, when your bucks, what RPM? What throttle opening (1/4, 1/2 etc.)?

8mud,
I understand about going thru all the connectors and checking them but why would it not start with the new computer yet still does with the old one?? Shouldn`t I have them same problem with both?

I wouldn't waste time trying to figure it out. Remans are just that -- remans, which means they are mostly old parts. It must have come with some sort of wearranty. Take it back, tell them it ran for a day and then died, and get another one.

If that one also fails after a day or three, THEN start tracing circuits and sensors.

I already got a return authorization for it and will send it back.

another tip, that should be a no-brainer... make sure to disconnect the battery before swapping computers. I didnt do this once on a dodge, and I had an over charging problem. I also have heard static can do crazy things to ECM's as well.

Back