• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertank

gpthrlz

NAXJA Forum User
I just filled my used Powertank PT10 for the first time. Prior to flling the regulator (first stage) it read 1100 PSI. After they filled it, it reads only 750 PSI. The guy said CO2 will never read over 1000 PSI. 750-800 is normal.

is he feeding me a line? why would it read 1100 prior to filling?

What is it supposed to read at?

Thanks,

Steve

The real question is what does it weigh?
Forget what the guage says, that doesn't mean anything. Weigh it and a full 10LB aluminum C02 tank should weigh in at 27 LBS(17 LBS empty ;) ).

well if the tank is empty the gage should read zero and 750 to 800 is about right for max pressure the reason the gage scale goes higher is thst they are more accurate in the middle of thier total range

oh yeah it may have been stuck from over filling or a pressure test as for why it read 1100

Thanks. it weighs about 28 lbs now that it has been filled.

i was just confused that it read over 1000 psi prior to filling and then 750 after filling.

Am I the only one confused as to how it could have more psi BEFORE filling it with co2?

-Scott

sintax said:
Am I the only one confused as to how it could have more psi BEFORE filling it with co2?

...am i the only one distracted by your avatar...

what was this thread about again?

welding shop

If the tank was warm before it got filled it would be quite easy for it to be up a little over 1000 psi. After filling it should have cooled down and the psi would be less. If you leave it out in a closed car in the sun it might easily get up over 1000 psi again (or it might blow off the relief valve and go down to nothing!).

750-800psi is the normal "operating" psi. when the temp increases outside to say 100 and it is sitting in your car and reaches 120* the full tank psi might read well above 1000psi possibly above 2000psi. if the temp reaches 150* which is the max temp it should be exposed to a full tank might reach 3000psi which is when the relief valve will open...i wouldnt worry about it reading above 1000, if you see above 2000 you might want to get it out of the heat.

thanks everybody. i will be using it at Panamint Valley Days this weekend. I just wanted to make sure it was ok, since i have it hooked up to my ARB's

Back