• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 19# injector ?'s

TekkaMaki

NAXJA Member #672
I'm looking to replace the injectors on my '89 4.0 with used ones.
I'm seeing 5.0, 4.6, HO and non HO 19lb mustang injectors and they all look the same, yellowish-orange top & black bottom. Is there any difference or just how they're worded?

Also if I get used late model, low mileage takeouts should I still replace the o-rings on them?

Thanks!
-Bic

How much were they asking for the used injectors? You can get 6 new ones for a decent price here:

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

Try his eBay store. Prices tend to be slightly cheaper. Nice guy to deal with. Fast, honest, professional.

I don't think the newer model injectors will work on older XJ. That's what I've read. Do a search. There's tons of info on this topic.

Good luck.

TekkaMaki said:
Also if I get used late model, low mileage takeouts should I still replace the o-rings on them?

YES! Sorry to shout, but fuel injector o-rings are cheap enough that there is no worldly reason NOT to change them while you have the fuel rail torn to bits. Even at the dealer, they're $13 for a full kit.

It's far cheaper to change a set of orings than it is to rebuild from an engine bay fire, and you won't be able to kick yourself hard enough if you have a fire because you didn't change orings...

5-90

I would change the o rings, They are about $10 from autozone. As for the injectors, any 19 lb ford unit should work as long as they resemble the old ones( metal with plastic top) . The orange top ones have 4 fuel outlets with atomize the fuel better than the single outlet injectors.

You could also try any local speed shop, I found a shop that specializes in hot-rodding Stangs, and I got a set of flow-tested orange tops (8 of them) for $80... You might get some odd looks when you tell them what you're doing with them but I did mine about 2 years ago and still think it was a good mod.

Thanks for the replies! I checked the part #'s off of XJade's link and it looks like 88-95 5.0's & 96-02 4.6's all use the same injector. The ones I'm looking at are from a 2000 4.6 mustang and they look exactly like the ones in that link so I think I'm good.

As for performance gains, I don't think it's much. The ford injectors supposedly atomize fuel better with 4 openings as opposed to the Jeeps 1, but the main reason people swap them in is because the old Jeep injectors start to leak and you can get the Ford ones for half the price of the oem Jeep replacements. This only applies to the non-HO 4.0L btw...4.0 HO's already have higher flow injectors so you wouldn't want 19# replacements, ymmv.

TekkaMaki said:
Thanks for the replies! I checked the part #'s off of XJade's link and it looks like 88-95 5.0's & 96-02 4.6's all use the same injector. The ones I'm looking at are from a 2000 4.6 mustang and they look exactly like the ones in that link so I think I'm good.

As for performance gains, I don't think it's much. The ford injectors supposedly atomize fuel better with 4 openings as opposed to the Jeeps 1, but the main reason people swap them in is because the old Jeep injectors start to leak and you can get the Ford ones for half the price of the oem Jeep replacements. This only applies to the non-HO 4.0L btw...4.0 HO's already have higher flow injectors so you wouldn't want 19# replacements, ymmv.

Pardon the thread hijack, but since you seem to know what's what here, what would be recommended for a 95 4.0, assuming I don't care for added performance, just a good set of injectors as cheap as possible?

TekkaMaki said:

that explains that, but what if you had a set of ho injectors would those work just the same as in installing the ford injectors?

EvilCherokee said:
that explains that, but what if you had a set of ho injectors would those work just the same as in installing the ford injectors?

no, the 88-90 4.0 used 18.6# injectors & the HO used 21# or 23#, they would be too much unless you'd done significant engine mods.

Matthew Currie said:
Pardon the thread hijack, but since you seem to know what's what here, what would be recommended for a 95 4.0, assuming I don't care for added performance, just a good set of injectors as cheap as possible?
Check out Dinos excellent site HERE it gives the stock specs for injectors. The 95 has 21# injectors and the only Ford injectors I've seen close to that are 19# & 24# and neither would be direct replacements. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info for ya.

Five O 19lb injectors disc type = $187 for 6 (89 I6)
Pintle type(these are the basic OEM type)$173 for 6
I had these priced @ a month ago so it may not be the same price.Seems pretty reasonable.
The ones with the higher pressure ratings are also listed on the web site.You can get a description and they also reccomend not using the higher pressure ones "unless there have been major engine modifications"
New ones come w/new o rings...
2 options for shipping USPS ,FED X
Post Office @2-3 days @$15.00
FedX overnite $35

According to FiveMotorSport.com ebay page the Bocsh fit:

FITMENT:
1987-98 Jeep 4.0 I-6
Multi-port injection engines

I purchased on eBay and it was much cheaper than their website. I purchase the $155.00 item - JEEP 4.0 MPI Bosch Fuel Injectors *NEW* Set

http://motors.search.ebay.com/JEEP-4-0-MPI-Bosch-Fuel-Injectors

I installed in XJ '89 In-Line Six

Engine runs much more smoother and has a quicker response on the pedal for sure.

I have an 88 wagoneer that I replaced the injectors in, the injectors I got were out of a 93 HO, jeep runs good when driving and accelerates good, but it stalls out at stops, and then revs when restarted. Could this be because of the HO injectors, and if so how can I fix?

Mine did this before and after I swapped in the 5.0 19# injectors - though much less after. I hear it's actually related to a worn throttle position sensor. Also, it takes 2-3 weeks for the computer to recalibrate for the slightly better performance from the newer injectors, so before and after comparisons within a couple of days of the change out can be too soon, according to XJ magazine. Makes sense, especially as the Factory service manual also states the same when power is removed from the computer for engine work - and an injector swap requires disconnecting the battery. I used the Ford O-rings that came on my take-outs (they were good) and I have had no problems yet (eight months.) The Ford rings are not as hard, and easier to install in 30 degree weather. Jeep rings will self destruct in those temperatures, and don't suffer repeated installations.
BTW, I have also tried adding an extra ground to the TPS and got no improvement, so I still think it has a flat spot on the rheostat winding.

TiRod said:
Mine did this before and after I swapped in the 5.0 19# injectors - though much less after. I hear it's actually related to a worn throttle position sensor. Also, it takes 2-3 weeks for the computer to recalibrate for the slightly better performance from the newer injectors, so before and after comparisons within a couple of days of the change out can be too soon, according to XJ magazine. Makes sense, especially as the Factory service manual also states the same when power is removed from the computer for engine work - and an injector swap requires disconnecting the battery. I used the Ford O-rings that came on my take-outs (they were good) and I have had no problems yet (eight months.) The Ford rings are not as hard, and easier to install in 30 degree weather. Jeep rings will self destruct in those temperatures, and don't suffer repeated installations.
BTW, I have also tried adding an extra ground to the TPS and got no improvement, so I still think it has a flat spot on the rheostat winding.

Tirod, what year XJ are you talking about here? The Renix computer on the 90 has no stored codes or learned habits, and is immune to battery disconnects as well. As far as I know, it's not energized at all when it's off.

So do you think I need to change to a 19# injector or do you think it is my tps?

Back