• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip question.

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know how c-clips retain axles in the differential carrier. What I don't understand is now non-c-clip axles are retained. Can anyone explain this for me?

Also, I've heard c-clips aren't as strong as a non-c-clip axle. Does anyone know of any companies that make "bulletproof" c-clips, since this is such an important axle part?

thats an easy one....since Im arm deep in a dana44 right now.

the axle, with bearing retainer,bearing,and oil seal are held in with a steel plate on the outside of the shaft- the axle go`s through it, the oil seal behind it. The seal is steel along the outside rim-it sits against the bearing on one side, and the retainer plate on the other. Once the plate is bolted on, it holds the axle inside.
I believe they make C-clip eliminators...but Ive never had to mess with C-clips yet.

The C-clip itself really isn't the issue with C-Clip axles (though they have been known to spit out and break)

The problem is WHEN they break, or more importantly when the axle breaks, the wheel and remaining portion of the axle can slide right out of the axle tube... Like this picture, Courtesy www.off-road.com

www.off-road.com/4x4web/travels/Minnesota/mud.htm
mud13.jpg

right.. the C clip isnt prone to failure.. its just what happens after the axle breaks.. the non-c clip axles have the bearing, seals, and retainers press-fit onto the shaft and bolt to the end of the axle tube behind the brake assembly.. if the inner splines break the axle will not walk out of the tube..

like this....

standard

this should be a concern for you if you are wheeling it hard and have some kind of locker... "most" jeepers have no reason to be concerned about axle breakage..

Back