• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking carpet out!

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody done this? I`m tired of looking at my greased up stained carpet, its gotta go. Also plan on rhino lining it? Hows the process? Easy hard? Some pick would be badass also!NAXJA

Sorry do not have any right now (pics that is)..I will try to dig some up. I did this about 7 years ago, only 1 problem, you WILL need a heat shield abouve the muffler and cat. other than that...go fo it.

Rev

Heat shield

there is already one up under the body above the cat. I was thinking of just pretty much cutting the carpet up with a carpet knife and doin piece by piece or how did u do it? Also by the way did you rhino line yours?

Well...ripping up the old carpet will be much easier if you remove everything that touchs the floor...trim, seats, console...etc. Then cut and remove. Yes, I had mine Rhino lined, looks great and you cannot hurt the stuff. Try it with the existing heat sheild, if after driving far a hour or so, you can touch the floor after Rhinoing...then its OK. My heat shield had long sence been gone so it got REAL hot, smells like carmel when it gets hot without burning.

Anything els you need to know about this...just ask.

Rev

I did it about two months ago with a broken wrist in a full arm cast. Ya gotta take out everything that touches the floor just like Rev said. Took me about half a day with a broken wrist, so it shouldn't take you too long. My carpet was wet and soggy too, which delayed the process. It's louder and the inside of my rig sounds like a tin can, but who cares - it's a Heep and it's getting Rhino'd soon.

Line-X is better. Much harder and doesn't rub off, and cheaper too. Anyhow, I am not even doing that, I have pulled up the carpet and I am going to paint it with Durabak, simple cheap and effective. As for sound level, go buy a car. One thing to watch out for on your XJ as with 1997 and up TJ's the catalytic converter runs alot hotter than the older vehicles, thats why mine disapered (funny thing that, just fell out one day and replaced itself with a pipe, great part about living in FL, only bad thing is no rocks :( ). Anyhow whatch out for that heat. A friend of mine took his carpet out of his TJ and his wife nearly burnt her feet, The stock carpet has a heat sheild built in.

Umm..."rub off"? Mine does not rub off...at all, it is a softer coating than line-x, it can be cut with a sharp edge. I think it ran $300 for the passenger area of mine. I will need some more for my current project and will prbly use Durabak.

Rev

Now how did yall coat the flooring? Did you paint it on, spray it on or what? I want it to be tough and neat as possible!

Rhino is applied only at the shop. It is not a DIY product. The upside is they do the prep, and spray it on. Downside is, price, gotta leave the Jeep so it can be done.

Rev

well hmm i was thinking of herculiner, I have acces to a air compressor and air gun, how would that work?

I used Herculiner on mine after I dunked it at the Badlands. I just took everything out of the interior, pulled the carpet out, then followed the Herc directions (scratching, cleaning, applying, etc.). You'll be gettin high off the fumes for a little while, it takes some time to get the smell out. I would recommend putting a floor mat down at least on your side, i have worn a hole with my heel through 3 coats of Herc in about 5 months. Good luck. I might be able to get some pics if you want.

Pat

Back