• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FrameRail & Crossmember ???????

FernXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting together a crossmember/skid, but before I want to cover/support the frame rails. I've seen 4x6 .25 cut in half but what about c-channel. Would the curvature of the inside fit the frame for the better, or would it fit worse?Would you guys happen to know what kind of size configurations channel is sold in?

I'm planning on sleeving the frame at the mounting points. I also wanted your opinion on using 2 lengths of 1.5"sp tube .125 side by side with 3/16ths plate under as a crossmember. I'm still deciding whether or not to mount trans directly to crossmember and put bushings at crossmember/frame mounts.

RCP PHX when are you going to post some pics of your progress???
Thanks, Rensing

I'll try to get some on soon.Mines a "build as you design project",so Ive had my problems!Its been a bad weekend,warpage has taken its toll along with needing to machine the sleeves.I did get the LCA's cut to lenth but I cant weld them on untilI get the machine work done!
BTW: I need a way to post the pics,On AOL I can do about two at a time(reduced image) and thats a PITA!

Last edited:
How did you design your crossmember and such? I understand completely "build as you design project". I am not a fabicator, I just try to pay attention and ask questions. I spend more time tossing around ideas in my head and on paper than anything else. Thanks for the reply!
Hope things start going your way! Rensing

The basic design is 2"x4" tubing for the crossmember and 2"x2" angle on the rail.The rest is infill work with 1/8" plate!

Just ordered channel 3.5"ID with 3"flanges with a .25" wall. They are going to make me a 10' section for $75-80. Doubt I will get the chance to start this weekend. Hoping weather is nice to go camping and wheeling.
Can't wait to get started!
Thanks, Rensing

Sorry, have another question for you. Is the RE spherical bushing on your HD trackbar the same size as their small ends used on UCA? I'd like to go with one of those when I redo my steering. But, from what I've found they only sell their bushings in two different sizes.
Thanks again, Rensing

Thats a big 10-4!They are the 2" ones(for UCA's),the 2 1/2" size fits the lower control arms and Currie sells a 3" for all your monster needs.

Last edited:
Back