• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

when to upgrade steering

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
at what size tires should i upgrade my steering at?

i currently have the BulletProof Steering conversion, and 33's... but want to go to 35's. when should i be concerned with steering boxes and pump

brandon

I run 35's with stock pump and a steering box brace and have had no breakage or any problems at all. Thats with the front locked also.

I run 35" mtrs with the stock steering pump, box, and RE tie rod which has held up good for me, but those tires are hard to turn. My steering reserve is leaking a bit so I think part of the problem is not having enough steering fluid present. 35's seem to be the start of where you should think about steering changes for sure, maybe even 33's. I found my bro a used Rusty's knuckle to knuckle beefy steering for his rig. It looks nice and beefy. :) My re tie rod has help up so far to 2 rubicon trips and 1 Fordyce adventure.
Troy

(jeepme) what system are you running from bulletproof? did you convert to a heim joint track bar connection on the frame end? currently going to a bulletproof system myself.

If they're in good shape now, I wouldn't worry on the box or pump.

I would worry on the frame, and install a C-Rok or JKS/ORGS SBS brace up there.

I have to agree with Woody. Reinforce the non-replaceables and run "maintenance items" it until they break. I run the stock inverted Y with 35's with just a brace. CROK or ORGS/JKS SBS equivalent is a great idea.

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i also have the crok steering box plate, and as for my bullet proof steering setup, i use all stage II heims. they are chromoly with teflon inners

brandon

I have 37's on my XJ.I have C-Rok plates with Tom Lee J20 box and AGR pump.I use the big Chevy TRE's,no heims.It's been bulletproof.

shimmy said:
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i also have the crok steering box plate, and as for my Bullet Proof Steering setup, i use all stage II heims. they are chromoly with teflon inners

brandon

whosyourdaddy? said:
(jeepme) what system are you running from bulletproof? did you convert to a heim joint track bar connection on the frame end? currently going to a bulletproof system myself.

I am not running the bullet proof system. I run the currie drag link with an RE tie rod, but so far its been bullet proof :)

I'm running 35s with a stock steering box but I've got Rusty's Steering Box Brace. I've got an ARB up front as well. I ran into an XJ on the trail and he had nearly broken his stock steering box off! You could see it move a few inches everytime he turned the wheel. I'm not sure how he ever got off the trail. I'd getting a steering box brace as cheap insurance on any wheels larger than stock.

Thanks-Stretch

RustysOffroad.com

shimmy, I wouldnt worry about anything. With a brace and the bulletproof setup youll be fine. I personally have never heard of anyone having issues with the box etc. on 35's. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Back