• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vaccum switch

87xjpioneer757

NAXJA Forum User
So do I really need this vaccum switch on the transfer case? I'm planning on making a cable disconnect for the front axle. Can't I just cap the vaccum hoses at the end of the metal lines? If I do, the idle will go up, is there a way I can set the idle? I have an 87 xj with a 231tcase and a 4.0 auto.

If you remove the axle disconnect or make it manual, you can cap the lines from the t-case. The 4x4 light in the instrument cluster will no longer work.

This should not affect idle speed.

Thanks. The plunger in my vaccum switch was stuck, causing the tcase not to shift, so I ground the round end off, making it flat. It shifts now. I'm trying to eliminate all things that can go wrong when I need them to work, so of course I'm taking everything vaccum out of the picture that I can. Will it hurt anything if I leave the ground down vaccum switch in? I don't see where it can hurt. Does the bicycle brake cable disconnect really work as good as it sounds?

T-case switch should be fine the way it is. For a more solid disco cable setup, I recommend using a HD push/pull cable instead of the bike brake cable, following the same process. My low-buck Posilock setup works great ($45.00 total), is strong and durable......and cheap 2Low is an added bonus!

think a universal manual choke cable from advance would work? I have some cable clamps from the heat exchangers on old VWs that would work to hold the end of the cable.

I've been using a quality bicycle brake cable for about 6 months now and it still works great. No problems. yet. Definatelly a great mod. I'm like you. I'm trying to cut as much vacuum stuff out as I can.

I found that the push/pull cable from 6 States is nearly indentical to the Posilock cable and only cost about $30.....and it won't stretch like a bike cable will, but I tend to over-engineer for durability cause I hate doing the same job twice.

Had I know that was available I probably would have gone with it instead. I agree with you. Do it once, right!

I didn't have 4wd at all when I did this mod and I was in a hurry. MacGyvered it just to go wheelin that weekend. Still holding up though.

Back