• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressing off the pinion bearing

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
12 Ton shop press
HF Tools large bearing separator

First: It scares the hell outta me to place the pinion in the separator and press down on the pinion shaft in the first place....when the bearing finally does pop loose I'm thinking it will shoot at about a million miles per hour at the garage floor and the who know where? (kinda like popping off a pitman arm) I put a cardboard box lined inside with moving blankets to "catch" my pinion missle. Am I doing this wrong? Advice?

Second: I have blown through the bearing seperator TWICE, the second time damaging it and the bearing is STILL on the pinion shaft. Am I doing something wrong? How hard should this be?

P

Get a better splitter. That HF one is complete junk. I bought my from Cornwell tools (OTC brand) for about $50. Much Much better. http://www.otctools.com/frames-inforeq.php3

The press will become easier as the bearing comes off. I usually just stick my hand underneath and catch it as it drops.

If you use the press to put the bearing back on be carefull that the splitter is aligned well. It's easy to score the surface of the pinion when the bearing goes past.

Thanks Lincoln...I am trying to get some experience in with some R&P's / carriers I have lying around from harvested axles before I tackle putting 4.88's in my rig by myself and opening up "shop" for my club.

P

The bearings will be the least of you problem. I've done eight (four sets) and I still need help.

Good luck.

Back