• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antennae Mounting

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
alright i got a CB but i do not have the coax/mount/antennae yet. im going with firestik brand

i NEED the antenna to extend no higher up than the top of the roof rack. (alot of times i use parking garages and i have about 3" clearance between roof rack + garage)
anyways, i have 2 options. 1 mount it near the stock radio antenna with this adapter:
mk174mrs.jpg

this would also minimize trail damage i think. i think i would be limited to a 2' antennae

option 2:
driver's rear just off tail light with a door jamb mount. i could probably fit a 3' on that
ss204amrs.jpg

also how much cable will i need to run the rear mount?
dont care much about really big range. 500 yrds if usually good for what i need

Last edited:
You will need to run your antenna higher than your rack if you want good reception...CB frequencies function best through line-of-sight... If your antenna does not sit slightly higher than your rack you may have problems communicating with those in front of you....

The length of cable you run should not affect reception if that is what you are worried about. I use a 50 foot cable, ( because the only Cb store in SLC ran out of 20' cables), and it works just fine. I tucked the excess behind my rear plastic in the back...

I mounted my Amateur Radio antenna on a mount that clamps to the rear hatch. You can adjust it up or down the hatch to keep the antenna at whatever height you want. I also use a garage, and needed to be able to get inside without removing an antenna before entering.
popup.htm
http://www.cometantenna.com/popup.htm?pro_images/PRM-T.jpg
This is pretty much what I've got. You can get just the mount, and then get the appropriate cable and connector for your CB antenna. You do sacrafice range for convenience.
HTH

yeah, ideally i would get something taller, but it dont feel like pulling it on/off all the time

i was thinkin something along these lines:
xjantennamount.jpg

orig.jpg

btw, before someone suggests a roof mount magnetic type. i had one of those a few years ago and it sucked.

here's my current setup:

offroading27.JPG

for reference, that's how tall it will be with the ss spring, ss quick disconnect, and a 4' firestick on board. it sits well above the roofrack. but i'm gonna switch to a short whip setup on my rack. we have lots of trees around here that don't really like my side setup. but it's working for me sofar.

I know with mine (mounted from hole in factory roof rack, 4' firestick) can unscrew from it's mount. The actuall stick unscrews. I can take it off for the entire time while I am not wheeling, and it takes like 15 seconds.

I have a 20’ whip mounted on the top rail of my tire carrier. I zip tied a rubber o-ring to the tip of the antenna and a small metal picture hanging hook to the front of my roof rack. When not in use I use the hook to clip the o-ring. It takes about 5 seconds to unhook the clip and fully extend the antenna. Its worked great for the last year and a half. Reception is great and with it clipped down I can still get in and out of my garage. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures, it would make it a lot easier then trying to explain it.

Back