• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-brake cable

whoozey1953

NAXJA Forum User
I put a 6" lift on my 2001 XJ, and the parking brake cable is going to be too short when flexing. I have heard that YJ cables work, but what year...if it makes a difference?

TIA

:wave1:

Six States can make you a cable if you don't find what you need. Thats where Tera Flex gets there custom ones made
540-473-1096

91 or 92 or later...I used 94 YJ passenger side cables on mine. Still need to finish extending the threaded rod on the upper end though. Shoul dhave pics up on my site within the week.

Yucca-Man said:
91 or 92 or later...I used 94 YJ passenger side cables on mine. Still need to finish extending the threaded rod on the upper end though. Shoul dhave pics up on my site within the week.

Please PM me when you post the pics.

:eyes:

1997+ is different IMHO.....I used 1990 yj passenger side cables when I did my axle swap from the 8.25 axle to my d44. I'd bet you have the 8.25 and that the only cable thats tight is the drivers side "short" one? Here's what I did with 6+ inches on my 2000. I found the length of the exposed (unsheathed) cable on the 94 cables recommended for the 96- XJ's was too much. Fit right on, no need to mod the equalizer.

http://www.kofira.com/jeep/ebrake/index.html

HTH

Pete

Thanks for pointing that out Pete - I forgot about the redesign of the e-brake on hte newer bodies. What I've done works better for the older ones, up to 97 or so. Kejtar has/had one of each, but I understood the 97 or 98 still had the older style e-brake cable and centered pull.

I know you're all talking about 97+ style now, but here is the YJ pass side cable compared to the old style e-brake cable (96 in this case).

When I put them on...D44 rear, the return springs on the cable were too long to fully engage the brake shoes, and I had to cut quite a bit of coils off to get the cable to pull enough. So, just a heads up... that they are not a TOTALLY direct swap all the time for you people that will post and complain that they weren't. :)

170272_76_full.jpg

i have a 93 cherokee. i swapped in a 97 8.25. 97+ has two different length cables. i went to the dealer and ordered another one of the longer ones.(passenger side) and i replaced the short one on the drivers side. then i got some threaded rod and a coupler. i used this to extend the threaded handle part. this worked out great.

Back