• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach installation - 87' 4.0L

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a connection already on the ignition module to connect to? Is it Plug-N-Play? I would like a tach installed in my XJ. I'm not too sure how to go about this. I have:

87' XJ Sport
4.0l
Auto
Full Instrumentation (Oil, Volt, Battery & Fuel)
2-Door
D30 front - D44 rear
4 tires
3 extended brake lines
2 head lights
1 partridge in a pear tree...

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Have you thought about adding a complete cluster from a full instrument rig or did you want to add an aftermarket tach?

i have the same type of plug and play tach ....my wife has the rige at the moment ill check where i connected it when she gets back. I know you attach the green wire to right around where the coil is mounted....look in that area for anothe green whire or a plug that says tach on it.

John90XJ, Yeah, I thought about putting in a cluster that already has the tach in it. I just thought it might be easier to install an aftermarket tach like an Autometer one. Is it hard to install the full cluster w/tach?

Jeepin_rebel, That would be cool if you could double check that on yours. I'm at work right now and I'll check on mine tonight.

Thanks for the quick replys guys...

JaysXJ said:
John90XJ, Yeah, I thought about putting in a cluster that already has the tach in it. I just thought it might be easier to install an aftermarket tach like an Autometer one. Is it hard to install the full cluster w/tach?

Jeepin_rebel, That would be cool if you could double check that on yours. I'm at work right now and I'll check on mine tonight.

Thanks for the quick replys guys...

The tach cluster is completely plug and play at the connector end, but if you have idiot lights, you'll have to replace the senders for the oil pressure and temp., and at some point they changed the speedo cable end. I couldn't use an 89 cluster on my 87 without changing the cable.

OK the jeep is home and i took a look. Ok locate your coil (mounted to the left side inner fender) just below your coil are 2 plugs. Now on my 90 one is black and one is white. The one your want is the white one it should be the plug closest to the front of the vehicle. There should be 3 wires comming out of it (black, yellow, green) you will want to splice the green tach wire to the green wire comming out of the plug. The red wire on your tach will go to your fuse box. You can run this wire to a always on type power feed. the black wire is duh ground. The white wire powers the tach back light. This wire can be placed under the fuse for your dash lights. I think i covered everything but if you have any other questions or I didnt make sence let me know.

jeepguy97 said:
If it has full instrumentation, wouldn't it have the tach.

Not necessarily, I found several with various combinations of lights/gauges while crawling around in the junkyard. Seems you _could_ have temp/pressure gauges but still no tach.

brtb said:
Not necessarily, I found several with various combinations of lights/gauges while crawling around in the junkyard. Seems you _could_ have temp/pressure gauges but still no tach.

Yes indeed, at least on the renix vintage, there was a cluster with full gauges and a trip odometer, but the gas gauge in place of the tach (the low fuel light was where the gas gauge is in the tach version).

Just rode with my buddy in his 88 and low and behold it had full gauges and a huge fuel gauge instead of a tach. I was thinkin well now don't you look stupid. Learn something every day I guess.

Sorry guys, Yes I have the cluster with all gauges and a big fuel gauge next to the speedo.

Thanks Jeepin_rebel.

Man, The people on this board ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Back