• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need a repair manual... chilton's or haynes or???

Chilton's and Haynes are both better than nothing ... but not much. Both contain incorrect and/or inaccurate information, and neither is anywhere near as complete as a factory service manual.

What you should get is a FSM. Yes, it costs a bunch more, but the first time you get into a repair and find that Chilton or Haynes doesn't show what's in your Jeep, you'll wish you had spent the extra for the FSM.

Concur. I've got both Chilton's and Haynes, and I've got about 8 years' worth of the Factory manuals as well - and the factory manuals are the tops. For the 1989, it may be a bit difficult to find, and expect it to run you about $100 (vice $20-25 for the commercial books) - but in terms of raw useful information, it's money well spent.

5-90

5-90 said:
Concur. I've got both Chilton's and Haynes, and I've got about 8 years' worth of the Factory manuals as well - and the factory manuals are the tops. For the 1989, it may be a bit difficult to find, and expect it to run you about $100 (vice $20-25 for the commercial books) - but in terms of raw useful information, it's money well spent.

5-90
Yup, FSM Is well worth it! I had a 98XJ and 98FSM and even though my current rig is 97 which means it's very close to the 98, I'm trying to set $$ aside to buy a 97FSM as there are enough annoying little differences between the two to make me want the 97FSM.

theres afew places on he net where you can download the FSM for afew models if you dont feel like spending that much money right now... lucky me with an 88', which just happens to be the most common downloadable manual i see.... if i can find one i'd like to get it in print though, cause having to come inside and look at the comp all the time instead of just cracking open the book ggets annoying realy quick ;)

HJ88 said:
theres afew places on he net where you can download the FSM for afew models if you dont feel like spending that much money right now... lucky me with an 88', which just happens to be the most common downloadable manual i see.... if i can find one i'd like to get it in print though, cause having to come inside and look at the comp all the time instead of just cracking open the book ggets annoying realy quick ;)
While those are good (decent) starting points, they are incomplete. They don't have all the sections and there will be times where you will find yourself at the same point you were when you didn't have the printed book.

are the fsm's model year specific? I hate the haynes when it comes to cramming all the years into one book- I'd love to have one that just shows the 97+. I've noticed most of the pics they have only refer to the pre 97 as well- and that sucks when it comes to the interior

dothedew24_7 said:
are the fsm's model year specific? I hate the haynes when it comes to cramming all the years into one book- I'd love to have one that just shows the 97+. I've noticed most of the pics they have only refer to the pre 97 as well- and that sucks when it comes to the interior
Yes, the FSM is for a particular year as there are differences between them (especially the 97+). Some of them are subtle, some of them are major.

I have a 1989 FSM thats almost new. I bought it from Chrysler's Tech Authority last year. Since then I've sold my Cherokee and have no need for it. Send me a PM with contact info.

I have to say, if you are needing a manual for basic maintenance stuff,
get a Haynes TOO. With the FSM somtimes I think it takes longer to find the right section than to do the job..

Is there any advantage y'all can think of why I'd want the FSM on CD instead of the paper copy? What format does the CD use, is it PDF or something proprietary to Chrysler?

Yucca-Man said:
Is there any advantage y'all can think of why I'd want the FSM on CD instead of the paper copy? What format does the CD use, is it PDF or something proprietary to Chrysler?
If you can get a complete FSM on the cd, I'd take it: this gives you the ability to print out the needed pages and work with them without destroying the book (my FSM doesn't look too pretty anymore and it's starting t ofall appart).
Be carefull though to get the complete FSM on teh cd as most that I've seen floating on the net are incomplete (they are missing at the very least the wiring diagrams which are the thing I'd love to be able to print out the most to help with tracing wires and make temporary notes). In any case I don't think Chrysler ever put out an FSM out on a CD for the public. The only stuff that I've seen floating around are what I think copies (incomplete) of what's loaded on the computers at the dealerships.
Oh yeah and they're PDF and they are searcheable!

They are PDF then; that's what I was looking for. I was ready to order from TechAuthority last night when I realized the CD was available along with the paper version for the same price ($90). I've riffled through a friend's 99XJ FSM and there are definitely greasier areas that are commonly referred to; same goes for my 73CJ5 FSM. Electrical and 304 V8 rebuild were heavily used in that one...

Back