• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning oil off blacktop

ilovjeep

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best cleaner to use to get a oil from blacktop? Now that my rig is not leaking oil I would like a nice clean driveway again.

Steam type vacumn cleaner. Also a good dishwashing liquid will break down oil.

:flame: works or you could coat the dry spots with a nice even coat of oil so it all matches. Usually about the time, the rain washes away my oil stains, the leaks are back.
Or you could pour a little oil under all of the neighbors cars, so everybodies driveways, look uniform.
High pressure washer works (somewhat), but the stains come back. Small areas, kitty litter works about as good as anything else. Never have too much luck with chemical cleaners or soaps, just more polution for minimal results.

I use powedered Tide and a stiff bristle brush, wet down with hot water and rinse with a hose and a stream nozzle.

The pity of asphalt is that anything strong enough to break down the oil straight away is likely to be antagonistic to the asphalt, so elbow grease and time become important components of any cleaning formula...

5-90

I've never had an asphalt driveway of my own, my last three driveways were either concrete, marble gravel or stone. What might work would be to reseal the whole driveway but I don't known if it would bleed thru or not. I had good results with a cleaner from Amway made for concrete, they might have one for asphalt.

I hope I can get it to come off there is a huge spot right where I park the jeep. The blacktop was laid three years ago I never got to seal before the xj started to leak oil.

Back