• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 shafts

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a 91 xj runing 35 mtr's with 4.56 gears. I have the vacum crap axle and i know i want to get rid of the 2 shaft crap. I picked up a locker for the front and i know im going to be breaking shafts so what shafts should i go with? I have heard that shafts from an ABS front axle are stronger is this true

smallxj said:
Ok i have a 91 xj runing 35 mtr's with 4.56 gears. I have the vacum crap axle and i know i want to get rid of the 2 shaft crap. I picked up a locker for the front and i know im going to be breaking shafts so what shafts should i go with? I have heard that shafts from an ABS front axle are stronger is this true

How much do you want to spend?

How likely do you want to be to not break?

XJ's with a disco axle and ABS, and YJ's with ABS had the larger (297/760) u-joint two piece axles. You can call many of the drivetrain stores and buy them new. While you're putting in shafts with the bigger u-joint, be sure to put the u-joints in using full circle clips (snap rings) rather than the stock c-clips. This will add quite a bit of strength to the u-joint, since a very normal cause of failure on the 297x joint is the c-clip coming off, which then allows the cup to start coming out and the u-joint breaks.

If you're willing to spend more money, and greatly improve your chances of not breaking, get some Superior or Warn front axle shafts. To do this you'll loose the disconnect, since they only come with a one piece axle.

Back