• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle lower shock mount question

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have decided to start building up this Lincoln 9" I just bought. My question is, can I place the axle shock mounts on the centerline of the axle, or do they need to be slightly below the axle in order to function best? Obviously the stock location is below the axle, but is there a good reason not to place it even with the centerline of the axle tubes? I hope this makes sense. I'm hoping to build it with as much clearance as possible.
Thanks,
Beej.

Beej said:
So, I have decided to start building up this Lincoln 9" I just bought. My question is, can I place the axle shock mounts on the centerline of the axle, or do they need to be slightly below the axle in order to function best? Obviously the stock location is below the axle, but is there a good reason not to place it even with the centerline of the axle tubes? I hope this makes sense. I'm hoping to build it with as much clearance as possible.
Thanks,
Beej.
You can put it in any location on the axle (heightwise) but try to keep in a position where you retain the same angle of it in relation to the upper mount. Just don't mount it too high up so that you'll no have to sacrifice shock lengths in regards to travel.

Kejtar said:
You can put it in any location on the axle (heightwise) but try to keep in a position where you retain the same angle of it in relation to the upper mount. Just don't mount it too high up so that you'll no have to sacrifice shock lengths in regards to travel.

Thats pretty much it!You have to know both your shock lengths/travel and your axle/wheel travel.After that you just have to deal with shock angles and available space and mounting points!

Kejtar said:
Got it, thanks very much for the quick response. Is shock length/travel the main reason that the stock axle mounts are so much below the axle?
Brent.

Beej said:
Got it, thanks very much for the quick response. Is shock length/travel the main reason that the stock axle mounts are so much below the axle?
Brent.
Yes,because the factory springs run almost flat.Generally,as you lift you get springs with more arch.I moved my rear lowers up a couple years ago(at 4.5" lift) about 1.5-2"(dont recall),yesterday while fully flexed up on the trail I had about 1.5" of up travel left(at 6" lift) and totally hanging on the extended sides!

Beej said:
Is shock length/travel the main reason that the stock axle mounts are so much below the axle?
Yes, because on stock vehicle there isn't much room they drop the shocks below to give a longer shock then they could put in otherwise. Now when you relocate the axle and you improve your travel and lift it you still have the same dilemma. You want most travel with least amount of drag (shock mount). If I kept my stock shock mounts I could utilized almost all of the shock length in the rear, but when I relocated I have to make a sacrifice of either stuffage or droop. I sacrificed a little bit of both so that my shock sits in the center of it's travel while at rest.

Here's mine. I used spring perches with the ends cut off and welded a bolt through the hole.

is.php

is.php

Okie Terry said:
Here's mine. I used spring perches with the ends cut off and welded a bolt through the hole.
Thanks, that's a great idea. I was wondering how I was going to fab up brackets. Did you use new spring perches or cut them off another axle?
Beej.

i just used a grade eight bolt that fit thru the eye of the shock. I put the bolt thru the shock to get the right angle and then held it to the axle and tack welded it in place then pulled the shock and welded the rest on my 8.8 don't have any pics but it works great no probs yet.

bj-666 said:
i just used a grade eight bolt that fit thru the eye of the shock. I put the bolt thru the shock to get the right angle and then held it to the axle and tack welded it in place then pulled the shock and welded the rest on my 8.8 don't have any pics but it works great no probs yet.
So you just welded the bolt head directly to the axle housing? Is that strong enough? I know you said you haven't had problems, but it just sounds weak to me. Am I just being paranoid?
B.

I tried that method, but a pesky rock sheared the bolt off

Woody at work said:
I tried that method, but a pesky rock sheared the bolt off
I wondered about that. The last thing I ever want to do is break something on the trail. I'm not getting younger and my back and knees complain when I have to get under the jeep when its in my garage (let alone snowboarding)! I wheel slowly, gently and carefully and mostly spend time using the trails to get to good fishin holes. For me, breakage is NOT an option. I will be overbuilding it instead. I'm going to put on this 9" and a front D44 just so I can safely run 33's with no breakage. Thanks for the input
Brent.

Cut the old mount off, then cut the mount bolt out of the OEM mount.
Then we took a piece of 2" long 2x2 1/4" wall square tubing and cut it in half, (basically making stout U channel)
We drilled a hole on center and then plug welded the bolt on with a TIG,
We welded the whole assembly to the tubes, careful not to blow through the axle tube.

Instead of a vertical weld like Okie did we went horizontal (personal preference, you get the same amount of bead either way).

Last edited:
Beej said:
Thanks, that's a great idea. I was wondering how I was going to fab up brackets. Did you use new spring perches or cut them off another axle?
Beej.
I bought new ones at Tractor Supply for $6 and cut off the ends. If you don't have a Tractor Supply handy, surely there's a place around you that sells trailer parts.

Okie Terry said:
I bought new ones at Tractor Supply for $6 and cut off the ends. If you don't have a Tractor Supply handy, surely there's a place around you that sells trailer parts.
Yup, found a set of four today for $16. Perfect, because I can use two for the actual spring perches and two for the shock mounts. Thanks for all the help guys!
B.

Okie Terry said:
Don't forget washers to locate the shock away from the new mount.
Thanks Terry, I must say you have been very helpful on this thread and others I have read, when I join naxja, can I join the Terry Chapter? :D

Back