• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quartersawn Pumpkin Ale for dirk

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
Actual Original Gravity 1.060
Actual Final Gravity 1.012
ABV 6.33%
30.8 IBU's
17.5 SRM

11gallons

17.6 lbs. Maris Otter Malt
2.20 lbs. 60 lovibond crystal malt
2.20 lbs. wheat malt
.28 lbs. chocolate malt
11.00 sugar pumkin meat

Styrian Goldings VS 4.4 alpha 2.25 oz. 60 min.
Fuggles 4.4 Alpha 2.25 oz. 30 min.

protein rest @122* for 30min
Sacc rest @154* for 80min

90 min boil

Wyeast Labs #1214 Belgian Ale yeast

Primary 12 days @66*
Secondary 8days @66*

--------ADD SPICES AT THIS POINT------------

steep the following in 8oz of high quality vodka or rum for 3 days:
allspice 1 tsp
nutmeg 1 tsp
ground cinnamon (not sugared) 1 tsp
8 whole cloves
1, 6" long organic vanilla bean broken

remove cloves, vanilla bean fragments from vodka/rum

pitch spiced mixture in keg.

lagering to create chill haze for removal @34*

busch tall boys

30 seconds down stairs to liquor store
$3 for 6 pack of busch tall boys
30 seconds back up stairs

to each thier own;)

cheers,

jj

Thanks Beez. A question or few.

1. Do you have any means of converting this to extract with specialty grains recipe? I don't have the room or experience to go full grain yet.

2. Did you prep the pumpkin at all? The recipe I was leaning toward calls for 1-2 quarts of pure pumpkin baked for 20 min, cubed, peeled and added to the boil.

3. Do you prefer an online brewing community? I spend some time on northernbrewer and homebrew.com but am always looking for more sources.

I hadn't thought of adding vanilla but I will probably do so now. Great idea.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Beez. A question or few.

1. Do you have any means of converting this to extract with specialty grains recipe? I don't have the room or experience to go full grain yet.

Yes I do, I can convert it in promash. when would you like to do this recipe? how many gallons is your batch?

2. Did you prep the pumpkin at all? The recipe I was leaning toward calls for 1-2 quarts of pure pumpkin baked for 20 min, cubed, peeled and added to the boil.

I did this recipe early this year, since we're actually gonna drink it TODAY, and there were no sugar pumpkins available, so i used libby's 100-percent UNSWEETENED pumpkin mean. I did not have to cook the meat, since I did a protien rest at 122 for 30min in the mash tun. You will want to cook yours a bit, whole pumpkin should be cooked for longer, say 1 hr.

3. Do you prefer an online brewing community? I spend some time on northernbrewer and homebrew.com but am always looking for more sources.

northern brewer is the best IMHO. I've posted brew pics to that forum as well.

I hadn't thought of adding vanilla but I will probably do so now. Great idea.

its a great addition!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks again,

I'll be brewing one day Thurs., Fri., or Sat. depending on when I can make my yeast starter since I usually do it a day or two in advance. All my batches are 5 gallons, and I have no idea what my brewery efficiency is (if you need that).

How was it, by the way? The beer I mean.

Back