• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Pads

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've had the new rotors and pads (both WearEver brand from Advance Auto) on for about a week now. I've put about 400 miles on my Jeep since then. The brakes seem to work great, and silently, until I come to an abrupt halt. There seems to be some grinding coming from the brakes since I can feel it in the brake pedal. So today I took both wheels off, inspected the pads and the rotors and didn't see any tell-tale signs of something wrong. Has anyone had experience with this happening, or with this brand of pads and rotors? The pads by the way are WearEver Gold if that helps. Thanks!

Matt

I too just complete a brake job after getting about 59,000 on my OEM pads and rotors on my '98. Things were fine for about a week, then I started feeling the "grinding" you are describeing, though mine occurred "just as I came to a stop". Nothing visual that I could see. Pads were fine, as were the rotors.

When I had my gears installed, I had the mechanic scuff the pads with some sand paper and rub down the rotors with some steel wool. I thought maybe the pads had glazed over some. That seems to have cured the grinding problem for now....

Ivan

This may be apples to oranges but the Advance Auto Wearever pads are were making an awful squeeling noise after 4-5 months on our Subaru. I changed to the Bendix brand and so far so good. I think the Wearevers have way too much metal in them. They'll eat up rotors.-------Dave

Second That

Grinding noises have been a problem since the change over to metallic brakes. My sons auto-tech instructor says that you need to break in the pads by doing a series of near stops first at 25 mph, then 40 mph then 60 (about 10 each). I haven't done it myself as I haven't put on new pads. I'm a little dubious but thought I'd try it next time I replace the pads just to see. I have gotten relief by doing what Ivan had done and took off the glaze the rotor and pads with some emery cloth. My Focus cleared up completely and the van (Halen) is much quieter at least for the time being.

Back