• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Oil

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
What weight dino oil do you use in the winter? I know I'll hear about the sythetics too, but right now I'm happy with dino oil.

2001 XJ Sport Auto
I6 with 14K miles

10W30 Mobil-1 on my 98 with over 235,000mi on it, both TJ's and the wifes Oldsmobile have it too, cept the wifes runs 5W30 Mobil-1

The owner's manual and FSM for the 2001 both call for 5W30. It's a good winter weight because it provides better start-up circulation, before the oil gets warm enough to thin out. If you want to run dinosaur juice, that's what you should run.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've always been a Castrol GTX guy, but I'm going to check out Mobil-1 for the XJ. That appears to be the overall favorite for dino juice (did a ton of searching here).

DaveD912 said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I've always been a Castrol GTX guy, but I'm going to check out Mobil-1 for the XJ. That appears to be the overall favorite for dino juice (did a ton of searching here).
Mobil-1 is full synthetic. You asked about dino oil, which means conventional petroleum based. If you want synthetic, Castrol offers Syntec in a 5W50 weight. That's what I run and I'm very happy with it. Up north where you are you could run 5W30 for winter and 5W50 in the summer.

If you want conventional dino oil, stay with Castrol GTX and use 5W30 all year. That's what the factory calls for in your vehicle.

I didn't realize Mobil-1 was a synthetic. Thanks Eagle :) I'm sticking to dino for now. I need to do some more research before going to a synthetic.

I posted here because the question was related to this climate. I've got the info I needed. Thanks :)

Back