• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring prob? Please help

coltrain

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the other day I was on my way home from work when all of a sudden my tach and spedo dropped to 0 and the "air bag" light came on. The Jeep was still running, and I drove for about 17 miles (odomoter didn't work eather) when the air bag light whent out and the tach and spedo started working again. No problems for a few days, then it did the same thing to me again this morning.

Anyone else ever have this problem, or have any ideas?

Oh, btw....

'98 xj sport, 4.0, auto, 98,000 miles

My temperature guage will randomly drop out every once in a while. There is probably a short circuit somewhere in the system. If I remember correctly, Jeeps use circuit breakers for alot of the systems. Maybe you have a short somewhere that is tripping the circuit breaker, and then the circuit breaker closes again after a few minutes. Just a thought....

Its the connector from the wire harness to your dash guage cluster. It is a pretty common problem, the pins in the connector either push in or get some corrosion or crap on them and need to be carefully cleaned and put back together.

Thanks, I'll try and check the connector this weekend. This problem started just after installing my RE 4.5" superflex w/ adda leaf and DT shocks. Much stiffer ride now, so I think the shock may have played a part.

hey guys,

well i have the same exact problem with my 98 sport. it happened to me after installign my lift and it seems to be the stiffer ride that does it. like when i hit a bump it goes on or off. let me nkow if it was the cluster that connects ot the gauges. i will check them tonight and see what it was. also, does anyone know how to reset your OBD II. i put a new cat in and the check engine light is still on. do you jsut have to disconnect the batery? thanks for any help.

Back