• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you run a 98 aw4 off of renix puter?

I did some homework on this recently(2wd to 4wd conversion)!The local trans shop shows 2 models,one to 96/97 and one from 96/97 on.He said the late models have on additional sensor that the earlier system doesnt provide for!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37239

RCP Phx said:
I did some homework on this recently(2wd to 4wd conversion)!The local trans shop shows 2 models,one to 96/97 and one from 96/97 on.He said the late models have on additional sensor that the earlier system doesnt provide for!

So what is the sensor and how is it wired? OH wise one
:cool:

I might in the next few days,Im looking for a 2dr(hard to find auto/4wd),theres a 2wd one Im going to checkout on Wednesday!

Brian, I run a 96 AW4 in my 89(5speed originally), using an 88 TCU and harness. Works like factory.

I am running a 98 AW4 in my 91 MJ and am bypassing the stock TCU with a 'manual' shifter from a fella on the board here. Basically this 'shifter' takes the place of the TCU and allows you to manually shift the trans via a rotary knob. This kit also has a switch to allow you to lock up the torque convertor in any gear, essentially giving you the option of running 2,2.5,3,3.5 etc...
I like the idea of the kit, simple, and allows you to pick the gear you wanna run. Basically it's the best of both world, no clutch to work but the ability to pick your gear! Going to pick it up tonight and install will hopefully be done tonight too. PM me if ya have any questions, Judd :greensmok

MUDTRUK said:
I am running a 98 AW4 in my 91 MJ and am bypassing the stock TCU with a 'manual' shifter from a fella on the board here. Basically this 'shifter' takes the place of the TCU and allows you to manually shift the trans via a rotary knob. This kit also has a switch to allow you to lock up the torque convertor in any gear, essentially giving you the option of running 2,2.5,3,3.5 etc...
I like the idea of the kit, simple, and allows you to pick the gear you wanna run. Basically it's the best of both world, no clutch to work but the ability to pick your gear! Going to pick it up tonight and install will hopefully be done tonight too. PM me if ya have any questions, Judd :greensmok
see ya in 4 hours ;)

from looking through the recyclers guidebook, I can see that there is a change in wiring and function that starts with the odb II in 1998, I believe that the prior year from 87 to 97 can work with the renix puter

Brian, I run a 96 AW4 in my 89(5speed originally), using an 88 TCU and harness. Works like factory.

was there any splicing of wires or plug and play?

Since my rig was a 5 speed originally...........lots o'splicing took place. Using wiring schematics from the FSM, it wasn't too hard to figure out where everything needed to be grafted into, but if you already have an auto then you should have it relatively easy. Look there are several plugin connectors for the tranny which may have changed in style from old to new, but there is no reason that you can't splice a new connector on to make them match up.
I also had to change out the input shaft on the T-case to a 23 spline so it would mate up, not sure if that's a factor for your application.

Last edited:
The mod I'm talking about only requires splicing three wires at the harness of the TCU. It also requires running a ground and a power lead through a 5A fusible link. Extremely easy to do! Works great too, I absolutely love it. Let me know if ya have any questions, I just finished mine last night!!! :rof:

MUDTRUK said:
The mod I'm talking about only requires splicing three wires at the harness of the TCU. It also requires running a ground and a power lead through a 5A fusible link. Extremely easy to do! Works great too, I absolutely love it. Let me know if ya have any questions, I just finished mine last night!!! :rof:
so did ya get it working at take a test drive?

BrettM said:
so did ya get it working at take a test drive?

Sure did man, it is frickin sweet! I'll definitely pass along your name if anyone else wants to do the same as I did, thanks again, Judd :rof:

Back