• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 door Wrangler

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
Saw a pic in the local paper of a 4 door Wrangler said to be a test mule. An auto mag said that they've seen it and believe it's slated for release in 2007 but DC (of course) said they've never heard of such a thing.

Sarge

BrettM said:
they're bringing back the XJ, but with a frame. first the wheelbase with the unlimited, now the other 2 doors.
works for me...I would love to have even a two door unlimited.
I like my XJ but man to have a frame and four coils under it.

There are a bunch of 4 door wrangler variations running around out there, I think AEV built a couple, some other company in miss was also building them and this was before the XJ was eol'd. Then there was the Dakar, I drooled over that one, big and boxy like the old troopers with a fixed hard top.

When I used to work at Dallas Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in Dallas, GA we had a 4 door wrangler. We had it sent out and made though, I believe it cost 3500 or so to have done, and it sold at the dealership for 37000

Down in Sedona, the Farabees has a custom 4-door TJ that is pretty sweet. I had some pics of here at one time. I'll try and post them up.

Fergie

If you're looking at the Wrangler Unlimited as an XJ replacement (as I am), keep your eyes and ears open and be ready to move. Rumor has it that 2005 or maybe 2006 will be the last year for the 4.0L engine, after which the Wrangler will get that gutless 3.7L passenger car engine they stuck in the Libertine.

Eagle said:
Rumor has it that 2005 or maybe 2006 will be the last year for the 4.0L engine, after which the Wrangler will get that gutless 3.7L passenger car engine they stuck in the Libertine.

If this really is the case (and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if it were), hopefully they'll have the sense to offer the turbodiesel as an option. Screw that V6.

Eagle said:
If you're looking at the Wrangler Unlimited as an XJ replacement (as I am),

so are you saying you will get rid the shiny new XJ in the garage that you never drive?? say it aint so, ethel!!!!!!

casm said:
If this really is the case (and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if it were), hopefully they'll have the sense to offer the turbodiesel as an option. Screw that V6.
Gas prices going the way they are I think you will see more and more CRD diesels in vehicles. If jeep would just make a V10 oil burner with 330 horse(est) and 550 Ft Lbs of torque like the VWs are getting in the Turegs(however you spell it) that would be even better.

I have to say that, having a liberty and a cherokee, the 3.7 V6 is my preference. granted, it doesn't have as much low end torque, but that engine is a much better balance of highway compatibility and off road performance that the 4.0 that pretty much sucks on the road. I live in a very mountaineous area, and believe me, the Liberty hauls ass up steep canyons.
If there is something I'm missing, please lemme know why everyone hates the 3.7 so much?

My prediction is that the 3.7 will have head gasket failures like most new DC products have. They have more HP, but I think they will lack the reliability and longevity of the 4.0. Only time will tell though. I think the true test will be to see how many 3.7s can break the 100K barrier, let alone the 200K barrier.

Back