• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A front XJ Dana44 axle???

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for some time now, and I can not find any pictures or info on a front Dana 44 axle out of an XJ. There were 44's (stock) in the front of XJ's at one time correct? I thought I had read somewhere before that they came in 87-90 models. Anybody? Thanks for any help!

Yes and no...... you're really thinking of the rear axle, not the front.

It's been reported that non-USA XJs can get front D44s ala TJs (read: D44 knuckles, D30 center section.)

ChiXJeff said:
Yes and no...... you're really thinking of the rear axle, not the front.

It's been reported that non-USA XJs can get front D44s ala TJs (read: D44 knuckles, D30 center section.)
I apperciate the reply, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know they came with rear 44's, but I'm really looking to see if there was front 44 stocks. Like I siad, I could of sworn I read somewhere before that there were. Maybe I was just dreaming :dunno: . lol

bshaw said:
I apperciate the reply, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know they came with rear 44's, but I'm really looking to see if there was front 44 stocks. Like I siad, I could of sworn I read somewhere before that there were. Maybe I was just dreaming :dunno: . lol

NEGATIVE. All were Dana 30's to my knowledge.

All domestic XJs had Dana 30 front axles. Some export models got D44 fronts, but I don't know which countries.

When I was in Chile I checked out Mike from Chile's '99 and it has a Dana 30. He told me that the Jeeps sold in Chile are built in the United States. The Jeeps sold in Venezuela are built in Venezuela, and he said he thinks those got the Dana 44 front axle.

At one time Jeep had a factory in Mexico and the Mexican Jeeps got some weird stuff (like stroker engines not available in the U.S.). Don't know if Mexican XJs might have had D44 fronts.

None here, though, so you can stop haunting the junkyards.

bshaw said:
Thanks for the replies guys. My curiosity has been fulfilled. I did look around a couple of times in the junkyard, not long and of course I never found anything. O well, on to the next idea. Thanks again guys!
You can buy the bare housing assembly for a TJ Rubicon from Jeep and build that up, complete with air-actuated locker. It's sort of a hybrid, though, because it uses the same knuckles and outers as the D30.

Eagle said:
You can buy the bare housing assembly for a TJ Rubicon from Jeep and build that up, complete with air-actuated locker. It's sort of a hybrid, though, because it uses the same knuckles and outers as the D30.
Just for conversaion sake.
Are the Rubicon axles (the housing is what I'm talking about) aluminum or are they tough like the older 44's? Same with the shafts, just as strong and as many splines as the older D44's?
Could you upgrade the knuckles and outers with parts from a different 44, like ford or an old waggy?
Reason I'm asking so many questions is because I want an easy bolt in for my front. I really have no welding skills, therefore I'm trying to keep it simple as possible. I really need to learn how to fab things up and weld. I don't know anyone really around here who know's how to do things like this. All my learning is coming of the web. :dunce:

Why? There has been considerable past discussion stating that the high pinion reverse cut D30 is as strong as a regular rotation low pinion D44. The limitations for the D30 axle are in the u-joints and axle shafts: keep the high pinion D30 and upgrade the shafts. No welding required!

4xBob said:
Why? There has been considerable past discussion stating that the high pinion reverse cut D30 is as strong as a regular rotation low pinion D44. The limitations for the D30 axle are in the u-joints and axle shafts: keep the high pinion D30 and upgrade the shafts. No welding required!
I'm starting to think that maybe keeping the d30, and beefing up the splines, and u-joints (the super 30 as I've read before) would be a lot less headache. Hell it will probaly never see any extreme rock crawling anyhow. Just worried about tire size and hopping. Just trying to avoid extra $$ spending in the long run if you know hat I mean.

Fergie said:
Talk to the folks at www.aev-conversions.com

The 44s they use in the front of their Hemi TJs are from Africa and are HP with all the correct mounting bracketry.

Fergie
Looks like these guys make some pretty nice mods. It wouldn't hurt to contact them some and find out some prices, but I can only imagne. I'll let ya all know what I find out.

Thanks for the info everybody!!! Keep the replies coming! More idea's and info the better, that's how I see it anyhow.

Hi boys mi name es felix i live in venezuela mi xj came with D44 stock here in venezuela came all xjs whith D44 the reason for that thing is here in we have here in venezuela a very hard competicion betwen jeep and toyota off course jeep over toyota jajaja byt this is the reason that jeep in venezuela puts in all xjs the D44 fron stock if your are interested of information i can give it to you cya
Felix

fachon4wd said:
Hi boys mi name es felix i live in venezuela mi xj came with D44 stock here in venezuela came all xjs whith D44 the reason for that thing is here in we have here in venezuela a very hard competicion betwen jeep and toyota off course jeep over toyota jajaja byt this is the reason that jeep in venezuela puts in all xjs the D44 fron stock if your are interested of information i can give it to you cya
Felix
Yeah, get some shipped up here to us! :D

Back