• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Transfer Case Skid?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i looked and didnt see a post. I just got a factory transfer case skid, used, and am having a hard time figuring out how to mount it. I see to holes on the crossmember and one on the "frame" rail. Do these use the infamous nutsert things? Are there better ideas out there to mount this ?

To mount it to the Xmember just use carriage bolts. Factory just uses bolts, but carriage bolts with round heads are better. The "frame" rail mount uses just a bolt. It would be ideal to use a carriage bolt here too but it's not so easy to get inside the frame rail, so you will probably want to just use self tapping screws, big ones. thats what aftermarket skids use. You may want to use more than one mounting hole for the side aswell. You could also weld a small piece of metal infront of the bolts to protect them from getting bashed and pulled out on rocks.

The stock tcase skid is decent. With a little modification it can be even better. I had a stock skid on my old MJ and it held almost the whole weight of the vehicle one time when it was balanced on a sharp rock. They work aight.

The factory solution is probably the best and they used a threaded insert. Some folks call them rivnuts. I found an equivalent at the hardware store. I don't think I can easily explain what they look like but they are about 1/2" in diameter, 5/8" long, have a threaded portion in one end, and a small shoulder on the opposite end. You won't find these as Loathes or Home Depot, you have to go to a real hardware store or a fastener house. Some require an expensive tool to install them but the ones I found use a simple tool that runs less than $2 and is stocked with the inserts. The tool looks like a very thick nut but without threads. I think it's obvious what to do with it once you see it.

Yep, what PaulJ said. RivNuts is what I've heard them called, and the ones for the skid are 1/2" OD (that's the OD of the insert, NOT the size of the bolt. That's either 1/4" or 5/16", don't recall which).

Back