• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are lug adapter/spacers a bad idea?

pokeyrugby

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping a Dana44 into my 1990 XJ from a Scout and turns out it's 2 inches more narrow than the Dana35 that I'm swapping out... any body know of any potential problems with using spacers behind my wheels so as to keep my tires from rubbing on the inside of my wheel wells? Is this a bad idea or should I go for it?

pokeyrugby said:
I'm swapping a Dana44 into my 1990 Jeep Cherokee from a Scout and turns out it's 2 inches more narrow than the Dana35 that I'm swapping out... any body know of any potential problems with using spacers behind my wheels so as to keep my tires from rubbing on the inside of my wheel wells? Is this a bad idea or should I go for it?

go for it.

pokeyrugby said:
I'm swapping a Dana44 into my 1990 XJ from a Scout and turns out it's 2 inches more narrow than the Dana35 that I'm swapping out... any body know of any potential problems with using spacers behind my wheels so as to keep my tires from rubbing on the inside of my wheel wells? Is this a bad idea or should I go for it?

Been running 1.25" billet adapters for at least 4 years now without any side effects. Only down side is when you do brake or axle work, you have 2 sets of lugs to undo instead of 1, but it's a small price to pay IMO.

stupid question, but Billet is a brand name, right Xjeeper? Can I order those through any auto parts store? Please pardon my stupidity, I'm totally new to all of this.

Been running 1" spacers on the same axle for 2 years -- no probs.

You can order them at www.performancewheel.com or from spidertrax.

sweet - that totally makes my month - thanks, guys. I've been having a hell of a time finding any other D44s with the right gear ratio. Now I just have to try to talk the guy with the axle down a little on price!

Back